SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive boat related hobby project, during my current downtime. I've been looking at some videos of a two-man daysailer cat, made of pvc. (I'm assuming "schedule 40"') I've looked at several of these and later ones seem a bit more refined.

What I'd like to do, is improve on this idea by adding a small, fully enclosed, cockpit, that I can use to nap or sleep in during short, deep water, crossings of more than 24 hours.

Has anyone come across plans or images of something like this or have an opinion about what materials and construction techniques might be well suited, as well as minimal safety equipment?

I thinking kind-of a one person "prepper" boat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I will suggest that this is a pretty silly concept. You can buy perfectly suitable, well engineered, used small catamarans and tris for way less than the rig and sails would cost for your disposable misplaced plumbing supply. The cost of properly engineered connections, and reinforcing the PVC pipes to withstand the forces of a 'deep water ' passage would easily pay for building proper hulls or adapting a used set of existing hulls.

You might want to Google Tremolino trimaran. One of those just sold for $3000 in my area.

You might also look up Stiletto catamarans. The original 27 footers can be bought for around $10 K in half way decent shape. That is about what a suitable rig and sails would cost for the PVC cat.
Thank you for the recommendations. They look interesting. As silly as this concept is, it does work and in some cases works very well. Silly, is my creative process. It's where I start. You are clearly very knowledgeable and I'm always grateful for your help.

I'd like to add that the most satisfying projects, for me, have begun thinking from a "peasant's" perspective. When I design, I like to start with a good-enough approach, then add constraints.

I'll bet the following could be scaled up, for short island crossings. It's fast, really fast!

Windsurfing Catamaran

1 - 3 of 3 Posts