SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not "are chain hooks weaker than the chain they are attached to?" Some are, some are not.

Not "I've heard," "Ultra says," or "chain isn't designed for...."

Actual numbers from a chain manufacturer or scholarly source. The "designed for" argument just doesn't make sense to me, considering MOST binder chains are attached with hooks. Sailors are most certainly the minority.

I've seen lots of numbers on rope and cables re. what weakens them, but not chain (heat and corrosives, of course).

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Anything that puts a point load on chain will weaken it IF there's enough load to stress the link. But given the variety of what are called "chain hooks" and the variety of loads...If the hook, of whatever kind, is properly sized and does not stress the link it is attached to, how could it possibly weaken the chain?

Given that some chain is more malleable and some link shapes more subject to distortion, I think there's lots of room for "properly sized" and proper tension/loading, so your bottom line answer will depend on the specifics. But within wide ranges, again, if you don't do something to overstress the chain link, how can a chain hook damage it?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see this could have 2 answers: high tensile and not.

It simply does not strike me, with out data, that cross loading a link is anymore strenuous than its normal loading. It seems if it was a problem, the chain manufacturers would publish a de-rating table, since the practice is normal and fundamental to the product.

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
We use a galvanized chain hook on our 3/8bbb chain to attach the snub line. As the links on bbb are considerably shorter than ht, and the nylon snub acts as an elastic, I certainly can't see that the chain hook could damage the chain in any way. Chain hooks are used in very high load situations (cargo loading, pulling bulldozers, logging, etc) quite often and I have never seen any warnings that they reduce the working load factor at all.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Since all chain binders use hooks I would think that there would be a lot of warnings if there was an inherent loss of working load when they are used due to liability issues(trucks, shipping, etc).

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Just look at the trucking industry a chain hook or binder hook places essentially the same load on a link as another link does so i rather doubt that it would cause any issues if properly sized for the chain used

1 - 6 of 6 Posts