SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my ducks in a row to sail north from the San Juan's for the summer. Do I still need full size paper charts of can I use a chart book?

·
Swab
825 Posts
I'm getting my ducks in a row to sail north from the San Juan's for the summer. Do I still need full size paper charts of can I use a chart book?
I suppose that would depend on your risk tolerance level. Lots of people do it. I wouldn't.

In my opinion, the books are good enough for planning, and we do use them for that, but I would not trust them for actual navigation except in an emergency. They are not up to date and lack the accuracy and detail of CHS or NOAA charts, either paper or electronic. If you go with electronics (Recommended), I would suggest a backup to your chart plotter or laptop.

We are using Open CPN with NOAA Raster charts and we have a backup computer and most of the paper charts for the area we are cruising (currently SE Alaska). When it comes to navigation, I admit to being a belt and suspenders man.

·
19,488 Posts
Many of the official Canadian chart sets are in books - they have additional information, aerial shots of many coves, distance tables etc. The book sets cover the Gulf islands, and Desolation Sound & Jervis Inlet - they are about $90 each and represent a good deal. It looks like the Howe Sound/Sunshine Coast to Desolation Sound is still a strip chart set at about $35.

These three plus some small scale/large area overview charts will get you to the edges of Desolation Sound. Beyond that you're back to full size single charts unless you're using Evergreen or Wagonners.

We like paper despite the plotter - last year we went to the Broughtons with paper, plotter and Navionics on the iPad.. plenty of options.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
You could also purchase the Canada/u.s. chart for your smartphone/iPad/tablet $15-$50 depending on the device you are purchasing for. Then you can download whatever sections of the map you want.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
You could also purchase the Canada/u.s. chart for your smartphone/iPad/tablet $15-$50 depending on the device you are purchasing for. Then you can download whatever sections of the map you want.
These are not adequate to meet Canadian regulations.

I would stress the word "also".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts