SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just curious how it works best; especially from a price perspective. Is it better if you finally decide on a xyz 40 footer to approach xyz? Or do you inevitably get pushed onto a dealer? What if there is no dealer in your country?

I would think it would be easier dealing with the manufacturer direct; especially if there was no dealer in your country.

Thoughts on how it works?

Regards

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I don't think manufacturers have the infrastructure necessary to support retail sales, I think it would be like trying to buy a pick-up from GMC. I only know 1 person (that I can remember) who bought a new boat, and he toured the factory where it was made. He purchased from a broker within 100 miles of the factory, he has dealt directly with the builder on some warranty issues.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
It's fairly common to buy through the builder for commercial vessels, such as a fishing boat; but for a sailboat I'm not sure. My guess would be that a more custom or local builder like Morris or Hinckley would be possible, even likely; but for a more production boat like a Catalina or Benneteau, probably they would refer you to a dealer.

I've had several fishing boats built in my family; and in that case it usually works like this.

You will purchase a hull, made to order, by someone like Bruno or Duffy & Duffy.

You then have that delivered to a builder who will finish it off, bulkheads, mechanicals, superstructure, etc.; to your design.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Actually, it really depends on the manufacturer. Some do direct sales as a normal course of business...others may generally use a dealer chain.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Just shows how pedestrian I am, "manufacturer" triggered CataBeneHunter, boat "builder" might have triggered Valiant, Passport, Cabo Rico Etc.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Just shows how pedestrian I am, "manufacturer" triggered CataBeneHunter, boat "builder" might have triggered Valiant, Passport, Cabo Rico Etc.
well put; "builder" seems to imply a level of craftsmanship

1 - 6 of 6 Posts