SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many hours researching I have confirmend that Universal and Kabota are basically the same engine. Our M18 is a Kabota z600. The injectors that I purchased from Kabota worked perfectly in our m18. The BIG diference was the universal injectors were $315.00 each ... the Kabota were $69.00 and change. It seems the only " Universal " items needed are the items that are exclusive to marine.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
kinda bites in the A$$ doesn't it? I've a 5416 and I beleive it's the same as yours. 2 cylinder.

·
'87 Pearson 27'
513 Posts
I had to replace my water pump on my M-12 a few months ago. the marine folks wanted 300.00+ i got it from an agricultural dealer for 107.00

·
Registered
31 Posts
How did you determine which Kubota was equivalent?

I have an M4-30 Universal, and I'm curious how you figured it out. Is there a lookup table somewhere? Or did you look at Kubotas that seemed to be of the same configuration? Thanks.

·
19,489 Posts
This is great info for those with these engines.. any non-marinization part should be equivalent if not the same. I think all the makes except Volvo and Yanmar are based on existing engines from other sources.

In my field (instrumentation) we had a similar situation. The sensor for one company's oxygen analyzer cost $300+ - it was a Bosch sensor exactly the same (except for a couple of wires) as what you can buy at any autoparts store for $60. -That's a pretty expensive bit of wire!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I use to have an Atomic. I first bought the tune up parts at Worst Marine. I later found out some Chevy parts would fit, and also forklifts. Cut the cost to 1/4 of what it was.......i2f

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just happened to find a friendly Kabota dealer after MANY MANY calls to Kabota dealers. I found Tractor Smart 717-450-1250. They were very friendly, helpful and parts arrived in 2 days. The link above " History of Universal Motor Company 4 " will tell you what engine number your Kabota engine is, which makes the search much easier. I still would recommend Tractor Smart ( I am not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer ) as they are willing to discuss whats going on and what you need rather then take your order.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a Universal M18 and want to replace the injectors. Could you supply me with the exact Kubota part numbers. When I called Tractor Smart they told me the had two different injectors for the z600. 7000-65209 and 7000-65208. The guy I talked to told me the only difference was one injector had a nut on top. Is it possible you one of each?
I have also be told by a mechanic the you need to really have the serial number of the engine block to be sure which model it is. I have looked everywhere and can seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
different numbers

I do not have the numbers that were on the injectors but remember that they were different numbers. The nut on the top is so that you can adjust the inlet and outlet from the injector pump. The installation was easy and straight forward and our engine ran better immediately. Be careful with the fuel lines so you dont scratch the ends or they will leak. I would recommend for the few dollars they are, replace them also so you get a good seal. If you do replace the fuel lines, pump them full of fuel before attaching to the injectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thermostat

kinda bites in the A$$ doesn't it? I've a 5416 and I beleive it's the same as yours. 2 cylinder.
Denise, just purchased a 29 Bristol and think we may have the same motor. Have you had to replace the thermostat on yours and what did you end up with?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Miguel

·
'87 Pearson 27'
513 Posts
My Universal M-12 stays around 145 and it should be up around 165 +. I think i need to change the thermostat. i have found a local tractor dealer that has the thermostat but it is rated at 180 degrees. the manual says my engine can run at 165 to 190 but i was wondering how the upper range would effect my heat exchanger and hot water heater. any thought on this? My concern is my pressure relief valve on the water heater

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been there

Our 32 Oday has an m18 and the gage read about 140, so I purchased a new one from Torrenson and it still reads 140, it may be your gage rather then the thermostat.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Hello

My m25 has a 180 t stat and it runs great. No problems with the water heater. I think the 165 stat is for raw water cooled engine to keep the salt from precipitating out.

Barry

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Universal M-12 stays around 145 and it should be up around 165 +. I think i need to change the thermostat. i have found a local tractor dealer that has the thermostat but it is rated at 180 degrees. the manual says my engine can run at 165 to 190 but i was wondering how the upper range would effect my heat exchanger and hot water heater. any thought on this? My concern is my pressure relief valve on the water heater
I have an M-12 that was running hot and overheating when I purchased it (or more accurately, right AFTER I purchased it). I have the temps running lower now after descaling the heat exchanger and pulling out four impeller vanes that the previous owner never looked for. I didn't notice any problems with the pressure relief valve on the water heater when it was running hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ODay 30 Universal 2416 waterpump

First post to sailnet. Thanks for all the tips on the Universal M20 5416. Waterpump failure sent me searching the net, and I found the sailnet forum. Apparently the kubota Z751 tractor engine is the same. The manufacturer was asking over $400 for the waterpump. I wanted to post the .com where I found it but don't want to violate protocol for sailnet. $143for the pump and $10 for the gasket. I'm a happy boy!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
For anyone who is looking for their SERIAL NUMBER LOCATIONS for a 5411 here are the positions I have found. I would think this would apply to other Universals as well. Hope this helps

Stamped on upper left hand corner of block - ignition side - facing flywheel end (front of engine).

Stamped in block directly above flywheel housing, under front oil filler.

On engine nameplate located on reverse gear housing cover.

On engine nameplate located on engine manifold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 5411 oil dipstick is marked "Z500" which I believe is the Kubota series numbering for this engine. From other posts n the past, Z500 was equated to the 5411. just my 2c!

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes, the parts cost much more when purchasing from a marine supply but how does the labor compare? My boat is currently on the hard in Wisconsin and a have contacted Kobota "service certified" dealer to go over it. They charge $90.00 per hour from the minute they leave the shop. How does that compare with local marine service?
I was planning to pull the engine and deliver it to the dealer but the service manager felt strongly that they could handle it in the boat. They want to do a compression check before we make any plans.
For more more good news on parts search the web for Re-manufactured Kobota engines. under $3000 for my 40 HP model 5444. This does not include swapping out, water pumps, alternators, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an M15 that needed a starter and the marine store wanted $1300, I found out also its a popular tractor motor and bought it for $79.00. What a rip off.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts