SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you leave your reefing lines rigged at all times? I am going to re-rig my two line reefing system and I am wondering if these lines stay rigged.

It seems from all the talk about reefing from the cockpit that they would stay rigged, but it seems that having reefing lines running from the aft end of the boom up the leech of the sail would interfere with air flow?

·
ex-Navy
224 Posts
Leave em rigged

As a test, try rigging the lines when you're tied up at the dock. Then imagine trying to do that when the wind kicks up enough to make reefing necessary. You're right, they do interfere a bit with the air flow but you gotta have them ready when you need them.
You might also practice reefing the main on a nice calm day to a point where you and your crew can practically reef in your sleep. Better than trying to learn in a 30-kt wind and a choppy sea.
:)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Yes... if you really want to clean up the air flow, get higher tech lines of a smaller diameter for the reefing lines. 3/8" polyester double braid, which is commonly used on many boats up to about 35' LOA has a breaking strength of about 4000-4400 lbs. 1/4" T-900 has the same breaking strength but far less windage and weight aloft.

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
As a test, try rigging the lines when you're tied up at the dock.
:)
Bloodhunter is right on. Once you can do it at the dock try it without leaving the cockpit - then try it when you have a beautiful day with 5 - 10 knot winds. Then try it all by yourself with no help.

When practicing - try it in your foul weather gear with harness and tether.

When that storm comes up from behind, catches you by surprise and the winds and rain are coming at you sideways - it is a PITA to try and figure out a seldom used system.

Me - it is easy - the commodore looks out before we leave and sometimes says - "please put a reef in."

I have found:

1. life is much nicer when I listen to her and comply
  2. it is much easier to shake a reef out than to put one in

We have left harbour with a "not needed" reef in on more than one occasion, but Linda is also quick to realize we did not need it and to suggest we take the reef out.

Cheers

Rik

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I am having trouble with this tread. Lets get real, just how much speed can reef lines cost you. Worrying about disturbing the air flow of your sail by reef lines, are you that good of a sail trimmer that this would make a deference.

I sail with 2 jiffy reef lines that always rigged and beat boats with better PHRF's than my boat. If my reef lines cost me a 1/10 of knot (which I doubt) so be it. I do know that when I need to take in a reef, I am not thinking about that 1/10th.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I race regularly on 2 different boats.

First boat has 2 reef points in the main. We keep the first reef point rigged all the time. The 2nd reef line has a stopper knot tied at the end of the boom so that it just needs to be attached to the sail if needed.

Second boat is a OD racer. They remove the reefing lines and replace them with very light weight lines that can be used to fish the proper reefing lines through when required. This lowers weight and windage on the sail plan. But I think it is getting a little picky. Then again, they tend to win a lot of races, so......

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
On the J24 i allways have then IN as the wife does not like heeling :)

On the 35' boat i also race on the race main does NOT even have reef points BUT we only use that sail on short races and have a HD main for distance racing

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
I keep them rigged in the boom w/ high tech/light weight line and hooks pliced to the ends. When it pipes up, unload the sail, hook onto the horn at the tack, then hook in the reefing line at the clew. Easy to do with your eyes closed, no windage and low weight.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, my boat currently has big fat ugly old reefing lines rigged at the aft end of the boom for the clue, and nothing at the luff. Time to re-rig it I guess.

·
Don Radcliffe
398 Posts
I keep the first and second reef lines on the sail, but leave the third reef on the boom unless I know I am in for heavy weather. The line is heavy and makes hoisting the sail more difficult. If I need the third reef, most of the time I will just drop the main and leave it down. If I REALLY need it, I can always rig it while the main is down and rehoist it.

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
602 Posts
Could someone please post a photo of their reefing lines setup? I'm a visual kinda person and I can "see" these kinds of things better when I can actually, um, see them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
A few items that may or may not be different from AE28. The line for my reefs go back to the boom end, and thru to the front, then up to a reef grommit, then back if I do single line reefing. I found it did not always work as well as i would like.

I saw an article in sail with in the last 6-18 months or so, that person started at the front, went to the back, then back thru the boom, down the mast to the back of the cabin. He found it worked better than AE28's option.

A 3rd way, is my reef lines are at the back as I mentioned, then out the front of the boom to the back of the cabin top, and I use a 2nd line, ie my cunningham hook to move up and down the tack end. This does require one to go to the mast. Others will have actual 2nd lines for cunningham, 1st and 2nd reef, along with 3rd for those that go that high.

A few options, For my use, the method I have works well, even short handed! I use as small of lines as I can get away with, ie less than 1/4" in a higher test if need be! BIG lines are NOT you friend in this instance.

Marty

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are several great threads here about single line reefing vs double line reefing, and reefing in general. As usual there are many, many ways to skin this cat.

My boom is set up (not real well, but set up) for two double line reefs at the clue end. I have nothing rigged at the tack end at all and no hook. I am planning to have a mast step plate made up, so after I do that I can rig two reef lines at the luff and bring them aft, and then bring the clue lines I have aft. I also need to rig a Cunningham and bring the clue outhaul aft, so its going to be a crowded mast step plate, especially if I make double ended Cunningham and outhauls.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
For my "2" line setup, I have 3 lines to reef my boat. the two at the aft end, and the one cunningham that I move. Less/fewer lines than a typical 2 line, ie 4 lines, 2ea for front and rear of the sail, along with one for the cunny, and another for the outhaul. Makes for a tight setup at the base of the mast, along with many or in my case, double stacked deck organizer. I use the top ones for the reef lines etc, that do not have as much tension as the halyard lines.

Marty

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For my "2" line setup, I have 3 lines to reef my boat. the two at the aft end, and the one cunningham that I move.
I was thinking or doing it this way as well, mostly to reduce clutter at the base of the mast and in the cockpit. Of course doing it this way means that reefing requires a trip to the mast, but on my boat this is not a problem.

What kind of hook do you use in the cringles? Do you use a purchase? I realize the purchase may not be needed for reefing but it is for the Cunningham. Does this present any issues?

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I "WAS" using the cunningham direct, but even reefing for my boat, IIRC yours and mine are really similar in size, like less than a foot, 500 lbs in wt, 50'ish s ft of main etc etc. I then put a single block on the hook part, and one end tied to the boom for a 2-1 purchase, which makes it easier to hand pull either one, or with my 2 sp 15 winch on the cabin, really easy!

I use what is called a cunningham hook. It has a loop on one end, with a hook attached on the other. As i recall, they come in various sizes. here is a link to what west marine has. I would not doubt that SN's store has one too. I am also using 3/16 or 1/4" line max. Sta-set or a lower stretch version. I know it is not the XLS extra the halyards and sheets are. My back reef lines are the same, outhaul because I use it a lot, is a 1/8" dyneema or some such steel equal line. I had a larger line, but it wore thru at the mast end of the boom sheaves. so I went thinner and stronger to make sure the sheaves in the boom did not wear it thru again.

Marty

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Our boat has the standard reef hooks at the mast end of the boom, and reef lines for the two reef points at the clew end of the boom.

We leave our reef lines in all the time for both reef points.
-J

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.