SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sail solo most of the time but I carry two crew aboard all the time.

My crew is supper reliable and is always ready to work.

Allow me to introduce them, they are:
Eugene Vin Diesel, and Otto Pillot.

A friend calls his engine George, another calls his auto pilot Josephine. What about you?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Names on Our Boat

Here are a few names that we use.

Rope - As in which rope is that. Refers to any line on the boat.
The Other Port - Starboard when the captain gets confused on right and left
The Other Starboard - See above except port
Left- Non-nuatical direction for the common folk
Right - See Left above
Go That Way - Accompanied by Arm/Finger pointing to indicate direction. Used when I can't remember either Left/Right or Port/Starboard
Motor/Engine/Iron Sail/Power Sail - Diesel Engine
Scoop - Removable Cowls Vent
Instruments - Any Electrical Display on the Boat (Depth, Wind, Auto)
Sail - Any sail that is up. Used in a sentence, "Honey, how does the sail look?" or "Can you fix the Sail". We have a sloop, so two sails are up. Sometimes there is no distinction between the head and main sail.

Colors are often used to define things more appropriately. Which rope is it?, answer the blue one. This is confusing on a race boat that I race on. Half of the line is a high performance part and the other half is some junk line spliced into it. The junk line part isn't load bearing and just a tail or leader. So when you raise the halyard, if the clutch isn't marked, I'll the say tail the line that is blue at the mast, when in reality it is probably white or some thing back to the cockpit. Worse is if there actually is a blue tail or all the tails are the same color.

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
On my boat, "Otto drives the boat, chief". "The Yanny" refers to the Yanmar. I may also refer to Yanny as "Ol' Reliable" solely out of affection and not out of age (since the engine's only 2 years old). One of my crew christened the head as "Port Deposit" on a recent trip. That name might stick.

The Admiral has her own naming scheme. If it's not a "thingy", it's a "whatchamadooey" or possibly a "do-hicker".

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I have a hard enough time remembering the proper marine terms for stuff (what do you expect, when what a lubber would call a part of the floor, or perhaps walls, is called a "ceiling"?), without adding my own names for bits :p

Jim

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
We call the crew cabin up front the garage. It's a bit unfinushed and we keep the parts to the sailing dinghy there.

And I call the aft area near the steering quadrant the basement.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Half of the line is a high performance part and the other half is some junk line spliced into it. The junk line part isn't load bearing and just a tail or leader. So when you raise the halyard, if the clutch isn't marked, I'll the say tail the line that is blue at the mast, when in reality it is probably white or some thing back to the cockpit. Worse is if there actually is a blue tail or all the tails are the same color.
This bugs me more than anything else, and then the owner asks "what's taking so long?" Maybe its b/c the halyards are encrypted!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts