SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
I listen to music while at anchor in the evenings but, while actually sailing, all I need is the sound of the wind, waves and the water slipping past my hull. Than and my thoughts are more than enough to get me through even the darkest 0300-0600 watch.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. There are times when it adds to the moment, times when it doesn't.

Most of all ... Your boat, your choice. Doesn't matter what anyone else does or thinks about it.

Reactions: Dave_E

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I listen to music while at anchor in the evenings but, while actually sailing, all I need is the sound of the wind, waves and the water slipping past my hull. Than and my thoughts are more than enough to get me through even the darkest 0300-0600 watch.
I agree... In fact, when I'm doing a delivery with crew, I discourage listening to music on watch, for so often the subtle sounds boats and their gear can produce can be the first sign of something amiss...

·
Registered
266 Posts
not while sailing, but at the dock or at anchor we listen to music. It all depends on the mood we're in as to what type. I do have an entire play list of "sailing/boating" music though. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since part of our sailing adventure is imparting to our kids some sort of connection with nature and disconnection from electronic distractions, we probably won't take the extra step to make music available on the boat. The no "phones / ipods / ipads / computers / videogames on the boat" rule is already in effect for them. It's about "whatever you're doing, do it 100%."

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yep. We usually listen to music while sailing. It's like adding a sound track to your life, and we feel that music has a special ability to enhance everything.
What we listen to varies, but we have long playlists to chose from.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
We need to hear the sounds of the yacht while underway so music isn't in the cards with one exception--when, if, we come in proximity to a pod of whales Then, we play music on the speakers in the Salon so they can hear us coming (but the noise isn't too great in the cockpit with the drop boards closed). My daughter once played a "Song of the Whales" CD but that caused more problems then it solved as one fellow swam over, rolled on his side and eyed us! (My wife quickly shifted the CD to the theme music from Jaws and he/she departed but whether from the music or satisfied curiosity we don't know.)

FWIW...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.