SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to identify the maker of this particular shaft seal so I can research and track down a leak. I’m honestly not sure if it’s coming from the shaft seal or now I think maybe further aft like from the muffler. It was enough over a 5 day period to put about 3 inches in the bilge.

The seal seems strange because I don’t see any type of flange between the bellows and the stainless collar with the set screws on it. I was able to easily pull back the bellows a tad to burp it but that didn’t seem to stop the leak.
Ignore the red circle!

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
PSS Shaft seal by PYI

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PSS Shaft seal by PYI
That’s what I thought but I don’t see the carbon stator? Shouldn’t it be between the bellows and the rotor? My bellows appears to be right against the rotor. I have no experience these so forgive me if that’s a stupid question.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
looks like PSS seal but the older one without the circulation hose fitting. the carbon is under the hose clamps and on the older model it did not stick out much beyond the rubber bellows. used for many other utility purposes like therapy pools. A new marine one will have the circulation hose fitting which is connected to the sea water pump on power boats but on a sail boat just mount the hose higher than the water line to allow the seal to expel all the air trapped in the shaft log. they may have installed that model because of your limited space to install on the shaft. don't need the hose type on a sailboat because you don't go fast enough to cause a suction in the shaft log. burp the air when you launch the boat and then your good.

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
Agree, PSS.

Wearables in these shaft seals must be replaced every 5, maybe 6 years (Check OEM). If the bellows are leaking, that’s a serious risk. When boats sit, some corrosion will form on the mating surface of discs and drip a little until use polishes them up again. 3” of water would be way more than this should account for.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
98% certain that it is a PSS. The bellows are supposed to be replaced every 7 years. I replaced mine last year. The carbon graphite stator can also be replaced, and is a "wear item," but I don't know if they can be ordered without ordering a whole new seal. I cannot see the graphite stator in your picture (although it must be there, or you would have sunk by now).

If you DO decide to order a new seal, order the "PRO" version which includes the shaft retention collar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts