SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what hooked you into sailing. Is there a particular moment that you can remember? For me it was about 4 years ago. I had always been around the water, boating and fishing with my father. We never had an interest in sailing. Kind of a shame as I think dad would have made a great sailor. Anyway back to what hooked me on sailing. I started looking at sailboats, I had a 17ft runabout in the yard that probably hadn't been used in 2 years, so my wife thought I'd really lost my mind. I met a guy on the dock who agreed to let me crew on some local races. We got together for a race, the wind was light but it was amazing the feeling that came over me when the sails were hoisted and the motor was cut off. The gurgling of the water coming off the stern is probably the thing that sticks out the most in my mind. It was completely relaxing. i quess it really is the simple things that make the biggest difference in life. I still race with this guy, he has actually become one of my best friends. I suppose I should really thank him for getting me started in sailing. Of course had he not taken me sailing I would not have spent all this money on sailing stuff.:D :D :D

That's my experience I'm sure you each have that moment of your own, so let's hear them...

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
It was a dinghy. Never been on or in a sailing boat before. Skipper gave me a bit of 'rope' and told me to hang onto it, then as we moved away from the shore he told me to pull on it. Boat heeled over and went faster. Never have forgotten the unbridled pleasure of that. :):):)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Moving a vessel without any machinery using just the wind like man has done for thousands of years, I get a kick out of it and it is in my blood.
I remember when it first got a hold of me, that was many years ago.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Watching the Hobie Cat Nationals on the beach in Cape May, NJ

About 1984, I think.

Sure I had read about the Dove and Slokum, but it was all of those boats on the beach that made it accessible, to me.

I got a Prindle 16, 9 years.
I got a Stiletto 27, 15 years.
I got a PDQ 32, still counting.

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Similar to you rdstanley...that magical moment when the sails fill, the engine is cut and all you hear is swooshing and splashing. The unseen energy of the wind moving your vessel over the water. It is a sensational experience and I've loved it since the first time.

Fair Winds...MGM

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I sailed as a child on my father's boat, but you just go with Dad. Growing up I read and dreamed, Slocum, Heyerdahl, Chapelle. I went to sea with the USCG and LOVED it. In '89 I built an 11' sailing dinghy. Launched it in november, on a blustery day. Like you, when the sail filled and the boat moved off across the wind, I felt the magic. My heart swells now remembering it. I still feel that magic. I need it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As kids, my brothers and I would hoist a bedsheet on an oar with a couple long sticks as yards and sail downwind in our dad's 18-foot, flat-bottomed wooden skiff. It had no motor, and we would row upwind on the windiest days to get a chance to 'sail.' We had a ball.:)

Then, my dad bought us a 10' O'day Sprite. Now, we could actually sail upwind.:D I remember the thrill of being able to go anywhere on the lake without regard to where the wind blew. My biggest thrill was always feeling the spray on my face as we crashed through waves on the windiest days.:D

Today, I still feel my pulse quicken when the sails go up, the boat begins to heel, and we accelerate against the wind. And I love it when she's sailing with a bone in her teeth, the spray coming over the bow and I'm getting soaked back in the cockpit. Arrrggghh!:eek:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I started with power boats >30years ago. 9 years ago, I kinda gets tire of drivng from point A to point B much like a taxi or driving a car. Nothing much interestimg about it. So with my friend (he also had same feelings about driving powerboat) we decide to switch to sailing. never regreted it. it so much more fulfilling. me working with nature to move the sailboat.

·
Just a Sailer
25 Posts
When I was 10, I saw an old man sailing a 8 foot pram back and forth across the wind at campsite near my home. At the time I owned a rowboat, so in the next couple of days, I fashioned a sail from some old canvas set up a pole and I was sailing. Of course, I didn't know the old man had a daggerboard in his pram, and I found I had to row out and could only sail downwind. Still, I was captain of my ship. That's my start.

Steve

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Leaving a bunch of canoes in my wake on a Sunfish at scout camp a bit over 30 years ago. ;)

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Having lived in the Mid-Atlantic area all my life we always spent time on or near the water.

Mostly crabbing as a youngster.

Sailing is something I just always wanted to do but never had the time or means previously.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I was 12 my dad took me out on a Butterfly for about a half hour and then let me go on my own. That afternoon the yacht club on the lake had a race and they invited me to join. Beginners luck ran good for me that day and I won. That was 39 years ago. I've owned and raced many boats since then on inland lakes. I love the speed and the quite power that comes from sailing.

The past 10 years we have done some chartering on Lake Superior and in the BVI. What a great time that is. This past September we decided to buy our first cruising boat when we saw a Baba 40 that needed some care and was priced to good to let it go. We plan to sail Lake Michigan for now and if that goes good, We are leaving Dodge and heading south.

Jeff
SV/Mezzaluna

·
Registered
401 Posts
When I first jumped on a windsurfer some 30 odd years ago... the feel of the wind in the sail and the feeling of control on the sail that made you go faster .... and I was hooked....

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
44 years ago this summer I was a camp counselor at a boys camp outside Montreal Canada. I was hired as the canoing instructor. When there I had the chance to try sailing. One afternoon on an old glassed over wooden boat another councilor and I sailed all over the lake, By the end of the afternoon I knew the basics. Sailing every chance I could get I gained more experience and confidence. 5 years later I was married and saw an ad for a Lido 14' for just $400. The rest is history.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We had a powerboat when I was a kid, which got me used to being around boats and the water. BUt what really got me interested was when my aunt bid on a sailboat ride at a charity auction. She won, and took me along. The sense of speed, though we weren't really going that fast impressed me. Fast forward 15 or 20 years. I'm now donating rides on MY boat to charity auctions!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Women!! I joined the MHD sailing club in '81, newly divorced, and many of the members were single women. I became a "skipper" and was called often to take a group out sailing on one of the Sonar's in the fleet. Definitely a great start. After a couple years, bought my current boat and have enjoyed it thoroughly since. BTW, going out tomorrow...looks like a great day on the Bay.

Moe
Crishelle
Chris Craft Apache 37

·
Registered
20 Posts
I grew up in the great Southwest, where water is scarce. When I was about 8, I was fascinated by the pictures of sailboats in history books, and did my best to build sailing models. My parents took pity on me and got me a toy sailing yacht (which I still have), and some time later we got a Sea Snark, foam hull. I learned how it works on irrigation reservoirs, making all the great mistakes like accidental gibes, but never had a chance to be on a real sailboat for another 30 years.

About 8 years ago, friends got a McGregor 26, and I got to sail on it and their subsequent boats. Since then, I have sailed Lasers, Prams, and a few other boats. I owned and sailed a Nacra 5.7 catamaran for a few years. Now, I have taken the first four ASA classes, and will take one more this fall. I am almost a sailor.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
My wife and I were at a seminar at the Lake of the Ozarks. All around the lake are marinas full of large stinkpots. Over dinner we hatched this idea of cruising around from port to port and see the world. We always wanted to live by the ocean, why not on it? Then we started asking dealers about fuel consumption, range, cost per mile, etc. The dream was hatched and killed in the same weekend. The next week I was poking around on the internet, and it occurred to me, wind is free and as long as there's no schedule you'll get there on time. The dream was alive again. I was hooked without even having sailed a boat. All I had to do then was buy one and learn how to sail it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I learned to sail in 1964 at Camp Lincoln for boys in Minnesota (it still exists and I recommend it highly for the values it teaches). What a blast! I was hooked! I have sailed on and off all my life, whenever I live near water.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts