SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Cara Brown, a pro skier, along as crew on the delivery of a new Hanse 348.

Here's a quick interview where she talks about what she loves about both sports:

Pete

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I ski and sail and I know quite a few others that do also. There are things each have that are similar - being in the outdoors, the satisfaction of applying learned skills, etc. Skiing is harder to do as you get older due to physical issues. Most older skier have been doing it all their lives. Sailing can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, even for those with physical limitations.

·
Master Mariner
8,205 Posts
It may not be sailing, but I have friends who have skied down a mountain to the ocean and continued on water skiing, in Chile.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I live in Jackson Wyoming and have had a ski pass the last 3 years. I can still ski expert runs but the double black diamond of Jackson give me trouble. I can make it down just not in a style I am proud of.

If it all works out I will be skiing in the next day or so. I have a friend from High School that has made it a goal to ski every month for a few years and is driving through town with the goal of us hiking to any path of snow we can find big enough to make turns in June and tomorrow in July.

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
Ski touring is how I stay sane during our 6 months of winter :)

For the down hill stuff I prefer snow boarding, but I spent a lot of time in my late 20s/early 30s living in Vancouver and after that the eastern mountains just don't do it for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
I ski every weekend during the ski season as our daughter is in a race program at the mountain and we have to be there every weekend anyway.. While some days I may only do two runs, I am at least getting out there. I don't just limit it to alpine skiing though, I also snowmobile (rode 1200 miles last winter), ice-fish on occasion, snow-shoe, back-country ski, cross-country ski and tele-ski. My knees don't like tele so much any more, and my Scarpa's are a bit skied out, but I still do it.. It would be tough to stay sane in Maine without lots of white stuff activities. Not limiting it to any one winter sport helps tremendously..

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I ski every weekend during the ski season as our daughter is in a race program at the mountain and we have to be there every weekend anyway.. While some days I may only do two runs, I am at least getting out there. I don't just limit it to alpine skiing though, I also snowmobile (rode 1200 miles last winter), ice-fish on occasion, snow-shoe, back-country ski, cross-country ski and tele-ski. My knees don't like tele so much any more, and my Scarpa's are a bit skied out, but I still do it.. It would be tough to stay sane in Maine without lots of white stuff activities. Not limiting it to any one winter sport helps tremendously..
My guest was from Vermont and we discussed how you need to do something to keep it interesting in winter to live in cold country. It usually takes me a good part of the season to break out the tele gear I can still do it but just can't last very long. I broke out the tele gear today to get my first and last tele turns of the season.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
My guest was from Vermont and we discussed how you need to do something to keep it interesting in winter to live in cold country. It usually takes me a good part of the season to break out the tele gear I can still do it but just can't last very long. I broke out the tele gear today to get my first and last tele turns of the season.
OMG! You went down that THING?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts