SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well when filling up the tank in my cars, I do shot for the best price as long as not out of my way. Do you do this for your boat? I need diesel in Chesapeake bay, and the fuel dock is just down a fair way from the boat in Back Creek. Not sure if I should shop around to save a few dollars. I think she needs about 200 Gal plus. Her total tankage is 350 gal.

:)

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
Well with boat fuel, quality is what really matters! Actually that is true with diesel. The price is not likely going to be very different, but lots of marinas have issues with water in the fuel. I would gladly pay a few cents more per gallon to know it is clean and dry. Often the tanks can get flooded when it rains, as they are under the parking lots.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
dawg, I'd sure try Gasbuddy.(G)

Of course, you may have to jerry-jug to shop around. I suspect for most of us it is the case of "here's the marina, here's the only fuel dock within a half hour detour..." and you try to do the best you can.

But if you've got more than one fuel dock around and need 100+ gallons at a shot...absolutely, shop!

·
3,506 Posts
With your untold wealth do you really need to save a few pennies on fuel?

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.
Ok, got it. I am not be penny wise and pound foolish. I am in Annapolis, there are plenty fuel docks I can call. Who knows, they may have the same price and are owned by the most powerful in the Capital. hahahah....

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
hmmmm, I have a whopping 7 gals, literally a 7 gal aluminum tank in my boat. Not sure it means much to try and shop per say. I usually do the 5 gal gerry can as it is usually 20-30 cents less up the road than at the marina. Altho the marina does have all the additives one wants vs the fuel up the road.......probably a wash at the end of the day.

marty

·
3,506 Posts
Depending on where I fll up prices can vary by up to $1.50 a gallon. Yes I consider saving $750 a tank worth the trip.
Wow, 500 gallons of fuel! Sure your not a stinkpot? Don't think I've used close to 500 gallons in the last 6 or 7 years of cruising.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
You have three easy choices in Annapolis - Annapolis Landing Marina on Back Creek and Annapolis City Marina and Yacht Basin in Annapolis Harbor. It is definitely worth calling around. Check for Boat/US and volume discounts (usually start at 100 gallons).

I usually call around before weekend cruises - sometimes fuel is cheaper in out of the way places. I only buy fuel a couple of times a year unless we're out cruising so I always check prices.

·
bell ringer
4,764 Posts
I read a story a few years ago in "Yachting" before I learned that magazine wasn't for me.

It talked about going further up the harbor when looking for fuel instead of stopping at the first place. It said the price price would be less there because that was what they had to go to get people to take the time to travel further. By doing so you could save $500 on fuel for the weekend. I figured if someone was going to be able to save $500/weekend due to a lower fuel price the magazine wasn't talking about people like me.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
ValvTect marine diesel already has bio-guard and other additives, which I find worth buying. It means their fuel is less likely to be contaminated in their own tank, regardless of whether I add the stuff upon fueling. One should be careful, however, as adding more is actually bad.

That said, I buy diesel at the most convenient place when cruising. Could be wherever I am, if I'm at a quarter tank, which is my min. It could be whomever has the easiest fuel dock to land, but they are all generally set up to be pretty approachable.

In any case, I rarely shop the price, other than to try not to be in a position to need fuel where I know it will be unusually expensive. ie Nantucket.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
hahaha.... I am just buying fuel for OPB. That is the best part. :D
Well, then why don't you ask them, unstead of us? :)

When bringing FREE RANGE CHICKEN north, you should have thought of this before entering Maryland, you could have saved a fair amount by topping off the tanks in Virginia... The prices in Little Creek would likely be considerably lower than the Annapolis area, Cape Charles and Rudee Inlet probably even better still, although with that boat's draft, getting alongside the fuel docks in either spot could be problematic...

Perhaps you should consider enlisting the services of a 'Fuel Broker', that's what a lot of the larger yachts have been doing for years... :)

·
Swab
825 Posts
Depending on where I fll up prices can vary by up to $1.50 a gallon. Yes I consider saving $750 a tank worth the trip.
Pull into the wrong fuel dock up here and you may pay 50% more. (Not a typo, FIFTY percent). :eek:

Fortunately, with a little planning you can usually find reasonably priced fuel without going out of your way.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Pull into the wrong fuel dock up here and you may pay 50% more. (Not a typo, FIFTY percent). :eek:

Fortunately, with a little planning you can usually find reasonably priced fuel without going out of your way.
A rare insight into Alaska cruising!
I like the videos!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Fifty percent more? Of course I'd pay 50% more. It helps keep the hoi-polio away from the fuel dock. (WEG)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
ValvTect marine diesel already has bio-guard and other additives, which I find worth buying. It means their fuel is less likely to be contaminated in their own tank, regardless of whether I add the stuff upon fueling. One should be careful, however, as adding more is actually bad.

That said, I buy diesel at the most convenient place when cruising. Could be wherever I am, if I'm at a quarter tank, which is my min. It could be whomever has the easiest fuel dock to land, but they are all generally set up to be pretty approachable.

In any case, I rarely shop the price, other than to try not to be in a position to need fuel where I know it will be unusually expensive. ie Nantucket.
That's pretty much my approach to buying diesel as well.

The other thing I use is the funnel with the filter built into it. I got into that habit in the Bahamas, but it is amazing what it screens out here in the US on some occasions.

Lots of different people make them now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts