SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to sit at the windward side and have always admired those who sit to leeward. When I do sit to leeward I find it very exciting being that much closer to the water. However, while the feel of the boat seems to be better and there is good a good view under the headsail, the lack of visibility on the windward side makes me nervous.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,130 Posts
hahahaha
I don't drive from the helm. AP does that. My AP control head is to port forward in the cockpit... engine instruments, key switch and kill to stbd. I like to be close to the AP control head to steer... and usually am athwartship on the bridgedeck.... head on high usually.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It really depends on what's around me and where I might be headed at the time. Leeward if there's no obstructions to windward, but I'll still check from time to time.

·
Old soul
5,177 Posts
Mostly I let vane or auto do the steering, but when I'm on the helm I'm mostly on windward if the boat is seriously heeling. It's not a big deal being on leeward if need be. But if the boat is on a serious heel, it's just more comfortable on windward.

However, my boat is rarely at a serious heel, even when going to wind, so in reality I'm mostly positioned right at the stern with the tiller under my arm, or just leaning against it.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Depends where we need the weight. Am annoyed that the 'humped-center' seat on the 'new' boat is so low that you can't see the compass unless you're right in the middle. Thinking of building filler sections.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Default is windward side.

Exception, if we're beating into cold, wet, windy snot, I move to leeward at the helm and the heel of the boat raises the windward gunnel and it becomes a wind shield (as does the dodger). Then the wife sits under the dodger on windward as lookout to that side.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I also default to the windward side. The racer in me is always thinking "weight up!", but it also offers much better visibility of what is ahead as well as of the sails.

I sometimes move to the low side just to check what is to leeward, adjust the jib, etc. I have never found it cfortable to be on the low side when the boat is heeling so I don't stay there long if it is windy.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes. I steer from both positions. You can see the telltales and set of jib(s) better from below. If the wind really picks up and/or you need to see better then I sit on the windward side. It is comfortable for me either way. We have a tiller only for steering.

·
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor
226 Posts
I usually sit on the leeward side. My wife sits behind the wheel or on the windward side.

The wheel isn't overtly large so I can sit on the leeward side behind the wheel, alongside of the wheel, or ahead of the wheel. I can access the jib winch without moving. And since the mainsheet is end boom the mainsheet and traveler controls are just ahead of the wheel so all major sail controls can be accessed without moving. If there is alot of traffic I'll shift to behind the wheel or to the windward side.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Answer is yes.
Or depends.
Typically I try to sit to leeward in light air, and windward in medium/heavy air, but if its really windy or gusty, I'm rarely sitting, I'm trimming, and attempting to keep her on her feet, flatter and faster.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,308 Posts
Both sides have blind zones so that issue is not a deciding factor.

You can see the luff of the jib more easily from the leeward side, so that is the light air standard. But as the breeze increases the heel, having your back lean against the rail and lifelines becomes uncomfortable, mandating sitting to windward.

In either position it's important to have a crew designated as lookout.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,084 Posts
"Do you sit to windward or leeward when at the helm?"

Yes,, I either sit on the windward side or the leeward side when at the helm. Upwind. I typically sit to leeward when the heel angle is less than 10-12 degrees. From the leeward side I can see the whole luff of the jib, and can play jib sheet in the gusts and lulls. But also a smaller percentage of the horizon is blocked from view by the jib from the lee rail.

I typically sit on the windward rail in a stronger breeze, to be able to see the waves.

Down wind in big waves, I tend to stand behind the wheel.

My GPS/chart plotter is on a swivel so I can see it no matter where I sit. My other instruments are visible anywhere in the cockpit.

Jeff

·
Registered
233 Posts
Highly dependent on whether AP is active. Typically leeward on a close haul simply because I can see 360 (though I have to duck down to see under the geneoa if we're heeled over) and I can lean back against the rails. And windward if I have someone over there to be my eyes. I admit I tend to go back and forth, looking at the sails, for other boats, how far we're going on current tack, etc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts