SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,304 Posts
hahahaha
I don't drive from the helm. AP does that. My AP control head is to port forward in the cockpit... engine instruments, key switch and kill to stbd. I like to be close to the AP control head to steer... and usually am athwartship on the bridgedeck.... head on high usually.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,304 Posts
Practically I don't find the wind all that shifty when sailing upwind. Or it is not worth the effort to be constantly making adjustments to trim. In light air I would sit to leeward to trim. But trim of the main can be done from either side.
What is important is to have good visibility when there are boats around. Not all boat's skippers are paying attention because they are on AP.
Downwind I simply to not usually want to sail SSW and risk an accidental jibe. A deep broad reach is not trim critical.. and for my rig, it's the main that is the power not the genny. Close to land the wind can be shifty.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,304 Posts
Au contraire... I am quite aware of the wind behavior and speed through the water as well as SOG. I have a read out for boat speed (gps data) Apparent Wind Speed, Apparent WInd angle, True Wind Speed and True Wind angle, course and fine heel angle.. and of course tell tales on the main and the genny. I constantly monitor them all as well as heel angle and make adjustment to heading and trim as needed. Anchored in this photo:

Sky Boat Naval architecture Window Vehicle

I do not race but like to get the boat moving as well as it can through the water and upwind... point as high as I can. Having said that sailing to me is way more than performance optimization... It's a pleasant way for me and wife... friends at times to enjoy being out on the water.

I do pay attention and sure there are changes in speed and angle. Sometimes I trim and sometimes I don't bother. Often I tweak the AP heading. When you come to sail on my boat... you can trim to your heart's delight. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts