SailNet Community banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,132 Posts
Practically I don't find the wind all that shifty when sailing upwind. Or it is not worth the effort to be constantly making adjustments to trim. In light air I would sit to leeward to trim. But trim of the main can be done from either side.
What is important is to have good visibility when there are boats around. Not all boat's skippers are paying attention because they are on AP.
Downwind I simply to not usually want to sail SSW and risk an accidental jibe. A deep broad reach is not trim critical.. and for my rig, it's the main that is the power not the genny. Close to land the wind can be shifty.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,088 Posts
Practically I don't find the wind all that shifty when sailing upwind. Or it is not worth the effort to be constantly making adjustments to trim. In light air I would sit to leeward to trim. But trim of the main can be done from either side.
What is important is to have good visibility when there are boats around. Not all boat's skippers are paying attention because they are on AP.
Downwind I simply to not usually want to sail SSW and risk an accidental jibe. A deep broad reach is not trim critical.. and for my rig, it's the main that is the power not the genny. Close to land the wind can be shifty.
Obviously, you and I have very different sailing styles. When you say , "Practically I don't find the wind all that shifty when sailing upwind" that simply means that you are not paying close enough attention to actually see what is happening. From our past discussions, it should be apparent that one of us is deeply interested in the science of sailing, and in performance, while the other of us is perfectly content not really caring about either. That does not make one or the other of us more inherently right or wrong; but just that we each come to sailing with different points of view, and interests. There is no harm/ no foul in that.

If you were actually paying close attention to the wind, you would have seen that even in steady conditions there are frequent 5-10 degree apparent wind shifts and small increases and decreases in wind speed. If you care about getting the most out of the boat, whether day sailing, cruising, or racing, minimally altering course with those shifts will improve overall performance, as will adjusting sail trim in longer gusts or lulls.

To be clear, I believe that there is nothing inherently wrong with not caring about performance or so therefore deciding that those small shifts are not important to you, And if that is how you enjoy sailing, then there is nothing wrong with setting an autopilot and living with the set your sails, and in doing so live with the resultant performance compromises. With or without the autopilot, I think that may actually be the way most people sail, and it is how I sail when I have a long passage and need to leave the helm for a while.

But for people like me, who value sailing the boat to the best of her ability, then part of the fun is keeping the course and sail trim optimized. Trimming sails and steering to the conditions can make big differences in passage times, and for some people that optimization is a large part of the fun. I grew up with an ethic that valued skippering a well sailed boat. But that does not make a more relaxed approach any more or less a 'proper way to sail' for anyone else.

However you may choose to sail, I do agree with the point that it is important to pay attention to keeping a careful watch for other boats and obstacles. My earlier point is that generally, the jib obscures a much narrower portion of the horizon when seen on edge from the leeward side of the boat than it does when viewed at a more perpendicular angle from the windward side of the boat. But where ever you sit, you need to move around or alter course enough to see what is happening in your blind spots

Jeff

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,132 Posts
Au contraire... I am quite aware of the wind behavior and speed through the water as well as SOG. I have a read out for boat speed (gps data) Apparent Wind Speed, Apparent WInd angle, True Wind Speed and True Wind angle, course and fine heel angle.. and of course tell tales on the main and the genny. I constantly monitor them all as well as heel angle and make adjustment to heading and trim as needed. Anchored in this photo:

Sky Boat Naval architecture Window Vehicle

I do not race but like to get the boat moving as well as it can through the water and upwind... point as high as I can. Having said that sailing to me is way more than performance optimization... It's a pleasant way for me and wife... friends at times to enjoy being out on the water.

I do pay attention and sure there are changes in speed and angle. Sometimes I trim and sometimes I don't bother. Often I tweak the AP heading. When you come to sail on my boat... you can trim to your heart's delight. :)

·
Unhinged and Fluid
70 Posts
when racing almost always windward, to keep weight balanced + visibility, someone else is watching the telltales, and generally id rather pull the tiller than push it from below.

but when cruising, sitting leeward on a big heel is a good flex, so im all about appearances then

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Whatever it takes to get about 10 degrees of heel upwind, plus being able to "see" the leeward jib telltale. That's for sloop rig.

In dinghies, ditto upwind, but dead downwind on a run, I'll heel her to windward enough to get CE and CLR balancing on top of each other so as to minimize need for tiller movement.

·
Registered
Wauquiez Centurion 40
60 Posts
I tend to sit at the windward side and have always admired those who sit to leeward. When I do sit to leeward I find it very exciting being that much closer to the water. However, while the feel of the boat seems to be better and there is good a good view under the headsail, the lack of visibility on the windward side makes me nervous.
It depends a lot on the windforce and direction. With stronger winds (whatever course) I prefer to be behind the wheel and stand. With moderate or light winds it realy depends on the the course and sail setting.
Sky Muscle Smile Cloud Sunglasses

21 - 26 of 26 Posts