SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
IMHO, you'd probably be better off with three 14' dock lines and two 24' ones. The breast lines generally don't have to be that long, but the spring lines often need to be longer. The ten feet unaccounted for will handle most of the splice length. :)

If you're going to go with four lines, two 20' and two 30' lines might make more sense than four 25' lines.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
With a larger boat, I'd agree, but with the OP's 25' boat, I disagree.
I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here.

I find lines less than 25' or so to be almost worthless. Even when we had a 24 footer, the 15 and 20' docklines we had always seemed to come up short.

I would go with 4 x 25' -- these should be fine as docklines. I would not try for the 5th line, especially when you consider that they will actually come up a fair bit shorter when you splice the eyes.

For spring lines, I think you want them to be more in the neighborhood of 30-35'.

Try to give them the biggest spliced eye practical, which makes it easier to "dip the eye".

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
While not at my home marina, I will keep the lines tied aboard the boat, so I can adjust them more easily...but at my home marina, having the lines attached to the boat and tied at the dock often means that the staff can make adjustments, when necessary, without coming aboard my boat.

Eye splices are a good thing for most boaters, who have no clue how to do a proper cleat hitch and trying to get two docklines over a single, usually undersized, cleat is an impossibility for them. I prefer them for convenience.

Just to throw in a wrinkle.

I do not like eye splices in a dock line. The line should be belayed so that it can be adjusted from onboard. Or in the oft chance that the boat adjacent to you in the slip catches fire, you can cast off without getting on the dock.

Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.