SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here.

I find lines less than 25' or so to be almost worthless. Even when we had a 24 footer, the 15 and 20' docklines we had always seemed to come up short.

I would go with 4 x 25' -- these should be fine as docklines. I would not try for the 5th line, especially when you consider that they will actually come up a fair bit shorter when you splice the eyes.

For spring lines, I think you want them to be more in the neighborhood of 30-35'.

Try to give them the biggest spliced eye practical, which makes it easier to "dip the eye".

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Just to throw in a wrinkle.

I do not like eye splices in a dock line. The line should be belayed so that it can be adjusted from onboard. Or in the oft chance that the boat adjacent to you in the slip catches fire, you can cast off without getting on the dock.

Jack
I agree that the lines should be capable of adjustment from on board, but I prefer eye splices in transient docklines (which is how the o.p. indicated these would be used).

Here in the Chesapeake, most docking is to pilings, rather than cleats on finger piers. We attach and adjust the whipped end of the docklines at our cleats. The spliced eye at the other end goes over the dock piling, after first dipping the eye. If you tie-off to the piling instead, you still have to dip your neighbor's dockline. So in most instances, it's just simpler to use a large spliced-eye.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.