SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
I wanted to know if there was a rule of thumb for finished length before I cut and splice one end of them.
The boat's LOA is sometimes used if you double-up the bow line or stern line with a spring line.

We cleat the bow using the eye splice - then to a dock cleat as normal then take the bitter end back to the boat's center cleat and snug it up as a spring line. Same procedure for the stern line. Two lines serve the purpose of carrying four - though perhaps the same amount of material.

To Larry's cleat hitch point earlier...

Wayne

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
Jack,

Yep!

If conditions require springing off the dock, I would retie as you suggest. In fact however we rarely if ever need to (or want to).

Here on the Chesapeake you more often than not spring from unprotected pilings, a sure fire gouging, scraping mess for the topsides unless the spring line tender is also and simultaneously very diligent adjusting a fender between the hull and piling.

Wayne

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.