SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They look neat, but like so many things we see on docks, have they traded function for looks? Are we really concerned about what is in the pipe, or do we trust US tap water? Should we think more about the algae in the hose, that's going to make a mess in the tank? Doesn't the filter go on the end of the hose?

I wonder about these things when I walk the dock.

(Folks keep replying to my posts as though I'm looking for a solution for my boat. I'm not. I know most of the options out there and don't wish items in the West Marine catalog or Home Depot pointed out--we know what's there. I'm trying to encourage thought. Or maybe even encourage a vendor to make the right product, which in this case is lacking. I suspect folks don't know what they actually need or how filters function, which is part of the problem.)

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,651 Posts
i have found that if you use filters on the end pf the hose nearest the boat and a special potable water hose for the final few feet, it works just dandy. mexican filters work just fine n dandy. they even have special stores just for water filters. you can even get a ceramic filter to pour directly into your tank from the end of the hose, so what is the problem???
is something more expensive really necessary??.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
They look neat, but like so many things we see on docks, have they traded function for looks? Are we really concerned about what is in the pipe, or do we trust US tap water? Should we think more about the algae in the hose, that's going to make a mess in the tank? Doesn't the filter go on the end of the hose?

From an earlier post on another thread, we never take on water that doesn't pass through a filter as most, if not all, dock-side water is coming through old, slimy, grungy pipes/hoses. (The water may have left the treatment plant "pure" but it "ain't" by the time it gets to the boat.) Our filter is a transparent under sink canister type from Home Depot with 5 Mc filters. We have short lengths of hose pig-tails attached that allow this to be fitted to the dock side water hose at the boat fill fitting.

For more on the subject see: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/141434-keeping-fresh-water-fouling.html

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have found that if you use filters on the end pf the hose nearest the boat and a special potable water hose for the final few feet, it works just dandy. mexican filters work just fine n dandy. they even have special stores just for water filters. you can even get a ceramic filter to pour directly into your tank from the end of the hose, so what is the problem???
is something more expensive really necessary??.
No, not at all. Got a picture or web location? You've got me curious. Non-American ways of looking at common sense problems are refreshing.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
They look neat, but like so many things we see on docks, have they traded function for looks?
Marketing glitz and 'cosmetic appearance' abounds

Are we really concerned about what is in the pipe,
Yes indeed. Water that is in public or commercial (includes marinas) venues 'should' be routinely tested for pathogenic organisms - E. Coli is still 'the biggy'.
and also concerned what grows inside the filter on the end of the HOSE, and on the inside of the hose ---- unless we drain it and 'cap it' when finished.

or do we trust US tap water?
Not really, as there is always possible retrograde contamination into a dock line, piping, etc. If you ever opened and inspected municipal or well water storage tanks or cleaned out the 'coarse' filters/strainers therein ... youd have a very different question/opinion. All depends on the constancy and efficacy of disinfection used and the viability/activity of what your immune system is accustomed to. Most tap water is OK but definitely not all - thats why it should be regularly tested for E. Coli, and other 'common' pathogenic bacteria etc. .... and occasionally for Crypto and Giardia if the 'source' is a reservoir/lake/river, etc.

Should we think more about the algae in the hose, that's going to make a mess in the tank?
Empty the hose, empty the dockside filters when done. At the least, put a nozzle on the end of the hose and close the nozzle, etc. Dont throw away those 'caps' that were included when you bought those in-line filters or those filter housings.

Doesn't the filter go on the end of the hose
Yup as hose can 'particulate' especially if old and oxidized or if fungals have penetrated into the inside polymer surface of the hose

-------------------------
.... and then consider that hospitals and other health care venues are actively now putting 'point of use' filters on every damn 'water outlet' that can possibly come in contact with human bodies or things that come in contact with human bodies - pseudumonas aeruginosa ... and thats just for 'wash water'.

·
2,448 Posts

I wonder about these things when I walk the dock.
I've thought about it too. When it's 98 degrees in August I wonder about the water in the hose between the filter and the transom inlet.

But my pragmatic side says we're aboard pretty much every weekend so the hose gets flushed regularly. We also run the water for a bit each weekend when we come aboard to flush out the line. I do the same with the hose when filling the water tanks. We have a Y valve off the filter to two hoses - one feeds the transom inlet the other a washdown/fill hose. Both are white hoses rated for drinking water. The tanks get a capful of bleach when fresh water is added.

So far no issues with the water. It always tastes and smells fine. Seems like it's OK as long as you use the system regularly.

I have noticed a difference in the quality of filters. I usually buy a good quality filter from an RV store. Last year I bought a cheaper model from the hardware store and there was a definite difference in the taste.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've thought about it too. When it's 98 degrees in August I wonder about the water in the hose between the filter and the transom inlet.

But my pragmatic side says we're aboard pretty much every weekend so the hose gets flushed regularly. We also run the water for a bit each weekend when we come aboard to flush out the line. I do the same with the hose when filling the water tanks. We have a Y valve off the filter to two hoses - one feeds the transom inlet the other a washdown/fill hose. Both are white hoses rated for drinking water. The tanks get a capful of bleach when fresh water is added.

So far no issues with the water. It always tastes and smells fine. Seems like it's OK as long as you use the system regularly.

I have noticed a difference in the quality of filters. I usually buy a good quality filter from an RV store. Last year I bought a cheaper model from the hardware store and there was a definite difference in the taste.
Would you happen to remember any specifics? Carbon vs. sediment?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well at work we run the DI water points of use 20 kilos before every use :)

I am just starting some FDA requested testing on small totes (25 kilo) of DI water taken to the analytical lab to prove how long it stays in spec

It goes in at .3 mS 25 ppb toc ,gotta see how long it will stay below 1mS and 300 ppb

Another year another requiremet :)

·
2,448 Posts
Would you happen to remember any specifics? Carbon vs. sediment?
I've had good luck with these two:
System IV Water Filter $33
Shurflo Water Filter $37

Both use activated carbon

The one I tried last year from the hardware store had almost identical spec at $19, but there was a noticeable difference in the taste of the water. I'll go back to the System IV this year.

The dockside Y valve setup gives me the advantage of filtered water going into my tanks.

I use these hoses and replace them every other season
NeverKink RV & Marine Hose

·
Registered
557 Posts
PD,

You might want to take a look at our Youtube mini op-eval of our filter system.

We bought ours when cruising Mexico (it's used in a lot of homes on the mainland there). But I have seen them for sale in the US for around $200.00. We use it for ALL water that goes into our tanks unless it's from our RO unit, EVEN IN THE US!

Greg

·
Registered
845 Posts
I use a sediment filter at the dock and a Nature Pure QC2 at the sink. The nice thing about this set up is that i don't have to worry about chemicals, bacteria, cysts, and viruses; and this company has a great track record.
Nature Pure QC2 Purifier with Faucet - Water Purifiers and Water Micro Filters - General Ecology

Most cheap filters just take out some chemicals and bugs, not all. My neighbor has a home depot RO unit installed on his boat (for tank water). Uses to much energy and wastes to much water. I guess if you have free water and don't go anywhere that is fine.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use a sediment filter at the dock and a Nature Pure QC2 at the sink. The nice thing about this set up is that i don't have to worry about chemicals, bacteria, cysts, and viruses; and this company has a great track record.
Nature Pure QC2 Purifier with Faucet - Water Purifiers and Water Micro Filters - General Ecology

Most cheap filters just take out some chemicals and bugs, not all. My neighbor has a home depot RO unit installed on his boat (for tank water). Uses to much energy and wastes to much water. I guess if you have free water and don't go anywhere that is fine.
Interesting that it has no NSF certifications (other than structure and lead-free--basic plumbing code requirements). Lots of stuff on their web site, but nothing that you can confirm. Their claims as microbial barrier can not be advertised in some states (CA, MI, others) for this reason. Curious. Riddle it out.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PD,

You might want to take a look at our Youtube mini op-eval of our filter system.

We bought ours when cruising Mexico (it's used in a lot of homes on the mainland there). But I have seen them for sale in the US for around $200.00. We use it for ALL water that goes into our tanks unless it's from our RO unit, EVEN IN THE US!

Greg
I can see the need for 2 types of systems: a slow but thorough process for untrustworthy water, and something simpler for US fuel docks with a line behind you. Completely different situations.

·
bell ringer
5,568 Posts
When/if I see a filter the first thing I think about is why they need the filter and whether I even want to risk the water coming out of that system.

And since filters do nothing but collect "nasty" stuff in them and are rarely changed out they become a "big nasty" until they start passing "stuff"! I hope my full technical description is understood.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Last year we were in our shore side place near Phoenix Az. A warning was sent out (TV & radio) that the local city water may be contaminated with e-coli!! Told us to boil it.

We simply set up our system (shown in the video) and supplied not only our self but our neighbors also. :)

Also, last year we were cruising the San Francisco Bay & Delta. We stopped at a marina for the night and I connected up the hose and saw a LOT of crud come out???? :( When I asked at the office I was told they use a cirstern system that filled every so often! They were at the bottom now but it would be better in a few hours. GLAD I HAD OUR UV filter system that day!!!!

It's looking like these days, there might not be a positive safe place???

As to the lines behind me, waiting, I guess I am getting to be a geezer. If it's a long line, I can find another place. I'm never in that big a rush. I can always fall back on the bottled water till I find a place that I have ample time to get GOOD water in my tanks.

Greg
By the way, we also have a PUR faucet filter in place. Got to have that great tasting coffee ya know.:laugher

I can see the need for 2 types of systems: a slow but thorough process for untrustworthy water, and something simpler for US fuel docks with a line behind you. Completely different situations.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
a. I wouldn't assume anything based upon the presence of a filter. Most people have very little understanding of water filtration and they have no idea why they bought the filter. Well, they think they do. I recall Tucker was advised not to put seatbelts in cars because that would make his look dangerous. How things change.

b. I would much rather just have my own filter. That way I can flush the line before I start (high flow) and then add my filter (lower flow). I know when it was changed, and I can drain and dry between uses.

c. I'm not THAT worried about the tank being perfect. I just want to avoid solids that will preclude sanitizing. I do not believe the tank can be kept sterile. How is the vent filtered?

d. I'm comfortable with US water, certainly in my area. I don't always wear PFD or a bicycle helmet either. Mostly I do. I recognize that I'm going to eat out, drink sodas, and shal=ke hands, so a 99.9999% water obsession only buys 70% safety.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts