SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the CG price for a new documentation? BoatUS just quoted me $350, I think that seems a little high.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
if you are allowed to do it yourself, it is very reasonable, but if you are part of a buy sell through a broker or bank (are there loans?) they may not allow you to do it yourself and your estimate is quite fair for a firm to do it. Just make sure you get traveling papers in hand and a paid receipt for the work.

IN the mid atlantic area it runs from a low of about $250 to over $500 depending on the firm and the boat being documented. Keep in mind you can not document a boat from Canada or elsewhere in most instances.

best of luck

dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought my boat through a broker and had a loan, but was still able to do the paperwork myself. Of course, the boat was already documented and this was a change in ownership, so that might make a difference. If yours is a first-time, it will cost you $133. I would certainly try to do it myself before forking over $350.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a first time documentation (never documented, state registration), and the title is clear. Was the 133 the total? The website said that was just a non-refudable deposit.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I failed to renew my documentation last year. There is no charge for renewal. Shame on me!

I renewed it in October this year and it cost me $84.00 to do so.

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Go to the link Sapperwhite posted. I have done 2 of them by myself over the years with no issue. When I had questions, the personnel at this office was always very helpful to me. Good luck!!
DD

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If they're providing a title search and title insurance, as well as handling the documentation change, it may well be worth the $350.

What is the CG price for a new documentation? BoatUS just quoted me $350, I think that seems a little high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts