SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

One of None
Hunter 34
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(No Mark I don't know where to post this topic)馃檭

So I did a search for the number and I actually found it! I started researching what to do and quickly lost my mind 馃樀

I have the title and all that.

Those that have done it please talk walk me through it yes I'm getting old and feeble, oh correction; I am old and feeble 馃樀馃ぃ馃槶
Font Rectangle Cool Material property Tints and shades
Font Electric blue Number Parallel

One of None
Hunter 34
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: GlanRock

Registered
Be careful, that IS NOT the Coast Guard documentation center. It鈥檚 a scam to look like it is.

For a few hundred dollars you can pay a local marine documentation company to handle this for you. Don鈥檛 fall for the internet scams to renew these, once you have it properly documented. That鈥檚 an online easy DIY. Getting the boat initially transferred is a bit more involved, so you may want to pay someone to do that. Otherwise, look up the National Vessel Documentation Center yourself. They鈥檙e the real deal.

Registered
You should have received the certificate of documentation when the sale was completed just like you would with a car title. You will need to send that in along with the proper form. They are sticklers for details, My boat had been owned jointly by a husband and wife but only the husband had signed the back of the certificate and the Coasties would not accept it. Wound up taking about 6 months to get the new certificate in hand. Part of this was due to going back and forth with an out of town seller and part was simply because sometimes there are pretty long wait times for certificate transfers.

Registered
As has been stated, contact the National Vessel Documentation Center. They have real people who answer the phone and will tell you all you need to know. They are actually knowledgeable and patient.

One thing I learned the hard way is to make certain you submit all required forms and payments. If you miss anything, they will tell you, but you go to the back of the waiting line. And their emails can get mixed up with spam.

One of None
Hunter 34
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My boat is registered with the new title and new numbers but there was no documentation information with Coast guard included, my only guess is the previous owners weren't aware of that, ornever even sailed the boat because I understand they only had it a year.

Registered
Assuming your boat is now registered with the state and the previous documentation expired you want to reinstate it.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/NVDC/EXCHANGE.pdf?ver=2018-12-28-130935-383
And will need to submit this form:
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/NVDC/CG-1258.pdf?ver=2017-05-09-113142-067
If you have questions call the CG documentation center, they probably won't answer but will return your call promptly, seems best to always deal with them direct and avoid most second party services.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organi...s-DCO-D/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/

One of None
Hunter 34
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay let me ask this. Why do I want to or even need to renew or transfer the documentation to me the owner of the vessel? it's not like Maryland registration fees are that expensive. And they make you pay for a sticker If you are documented.

Registered
Had a dockmate say it was so he didn't have to put "ugly" state numbers and sticker on bow of boat, my current boat is state registered.

Learning the HARD way...
Okay let me ask this. Why do I want to or even need to renew or transfer the documentation to me the owner of the vessel? it's not like Maryland registration fees are that expensive. And they make you pay for a sticker If you are documented.
If you are planning to visit the Bahamas or Canada, then you SHOULD be documented. I realize that many people have brought their state numbered boats into the Bahamas and Canada, but my understanding is that documentation SHOULD be necessary for international travel.

Registered
Why do I want to or even need to renew or transfer the documentation to me the owner of the vessel?
Other than the aesthetic issue of avoiding bow numbers, the only two practical issues are international travel and a single point of research for liens. The latter should be valuable to any buyer down the road. When boat travel between states, new titles can be issued that don't carry forward liens filed in the prior state. The most painful issue is that fully remain valid, even if the current owner did not incur the cause of the lien. These can be mortgage or as simple as mechanics liens filed for unpaid marina bills.

Reactions: contrarian

Registered
Had a dockmate say it was so he didn't have to put "ugly" state numbers and sticker on bow of boat, my current boat is state registered.
Most states require documented boats to also be state registered if the boat spends a certain amount of time in that state or they live in the state. This requires the state numbers on the bow.

Mark

Registered
Not California, you don't have to register a documented vessel. They'll charge you property tax if you are in a non- transient slip or mooring on January 1, documented, registered, foreign, out of state registered, stolen or on fire and sinking don't matter.
See additional information at bottom of page.
Boat/Vessel Registration - California DMV

Registered
Most states require documented boats to also be state registered if the boat spends a certain amount of time in that state or they live in the state. This requires the state numbers on the bow.

Mark
Actually, if a vessel is documented with the CG it may not display state numbers, nor can a state require it. The state can require registration including the display of a decal documenting such, but no numbers.

Registered
Registration seems to be a revenue vehicle for states.
That's a fact. It's really just a permit to be in the State for more than X months.

Registered
That is wonderful thank you! why couldn't I find that? 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Oh remember my lazy Jack discussion? I decided to wait until spring.
You're very welcome! Happy to help!

I do remember the Lazy Jack convo, I don't blame you for waiting cuz it'll all still be there waiting!

Registered
Do you have to register a documented boat?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts