SailNet Community banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Do you have to register a documented boat?
If I read it correctly Maryland wants $10 for a sticker to put on documented vessels but it's only $24 a year for a Maryland registration again, unless I'm mistaken. This is why I didn't bother to transfer it to Pennsylvania & my home address

·
Registered
238 Posts
Reason to register with Coast Guard: Customs officials universally recognize a US Coast Guard Certificate of Documentation as proof of ownership and authentication of the boat's origin. If you travel to foreign waters, your Certificate of Documentation immediately provides you with the protection and the status that comes from the US Government. (I copied that from the internet, not my words).
Seems like if a person is only wanting to navigate locally then there's not a compelling to do it. We did simply because we plan to leave the local areas over time and hopefully venture out as far as we can!

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
This is why I didn't bother to transfer it to Pennsylvania & my home address
You don't get to shop for registration. It's simply a matter of where the boat is located. That's where it must be registered, if the located State requires registration.

If a boat has another State's registration numbers, it can appear to be transient and evade for a while. However, if the State finds out, penalties are always worse than compliance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One thing I learned the hard way is to make certain you submit all required forms and payments. If you miss anything, they will tell you, but you go to the back of the waiting line. And their emails can get mixed up with spam.
This. And triple check the forms. I finally got my USCG registration transferred, but it took me from April to September because I inadvertently added an extra letter at the end of my boat partner's name on the registration application which didn't match the bill of sale, so the original application get sent back to me to prove what the correct name was. I had to send a picture of my boat partner's license and my app went to the back of the line. Fortunately, you can submit online and on their website you check which application receipt dates they are currently processing.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,143 Posts
Speaking of partners.... If a partnership owns a boat formerly owned by a single owner that WAS documented.... does the document has to be upgraded/amended to include all partner's names etc.? And likewise what happens to a partner owned documented boat... and the partnership is dissolved... is an upgraded or amended documentation required?

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Generically, I'd say both partners appear on the document, if both have an economic interest in the vessel. However, it really depends on the terms of the legally contracted partnership agreement, which is critical. It may be the name if the formed partnership itself that appears, rather than it's individual members. The most important predetermined terms of that agreement being how any partner may exit the partnership. Of course, a documented understanding of cost share, usage, terms of sale, moorage location, taxes, insurance, etc are necessary too.

I'd sooner run across rush hour highway traffic than enter into a partnership with a stranger.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This was very informative. Pretty well convinced me there is no need to renew the documentation from the Coast guard on this vessel, it's not likely to leave the Chesapeake area, thank you so much everyone!

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Full time as in where it's moored? Yes, hailing port will be in Virginia.
Just a terminology thing to clarify. The hailport is the city and state you put on the transom. It can say any valid city/state combo in the country and is not required to have any relation to you, where the boat is or anything. It just needs to be the same on the document and transom, you pick anything you want. I've seen boats in RI that say Aspen, Colorado, which strikes me as a bit far from the ocean. :) The USCG documented hailport also has nothing to do with where taxes or fees are owed. They don't cause you to owe them, not get you out of them.

The actual moored location is all that matters, when it comes to taxes and registration.

Transiting around temporarily usually doesn't matter, as long as you don't stay in another State long enough to trigger their taxes or fees. It's a different amount of time in all States, but 90 days is not uncommon. The catch is if your permanent resident is in a different State than were you moor the boat. If you bring the boat back to your State of residence, even for a single day, many of them want their vig immediately.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You asked for some references for VA with respect to federal (CG) documentation and state registration. As many have noted, many states require a documented vessel to also register with the state (no bow numbers, perhaps a decal). VA does not. VA also exempts federally documented vessels from any VA titling requirement.

Titling: (section 29.1-733.6) Title 29.1. Wildlife, Inland Fisheries and Boating
Registration: (section 29.1-710) Title 29.1. Wildlife, Inland Fisheries and Boating
Definition of Watercraft for Sales Tax Purposes: Virginia Watercraft Sales and Use Tax (exempts documented vessels from definition of watercraft)

As always, best to get qualified legal advice rather than relying on the Internet, but these may provide some useful references!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts