SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago i was talking with some members in the chat about a big project that i started. for over the winter here in canada. Building a hard dodger for my IRWIN 28

I dont have the proper finished sized picture of it on the boat but it matches the lines perfectly here is a picture of it in my back yard after i layed some glass.

hard to tell but both the roof and front window are both curved

-Core is 3/8 Russian ply doubled up in some areas super strong
all joints filleted
- All joints are filleted with a Epoxy mixed with milled fiber and Cabosil to make laying glass easy. all corners will be tapped after glass is layed on surface with stitchmat and hidden behind a cover where i will be running wires.
-glass is plain weave exterior and will have 2-3 layer for weather resistance and strength boded to the core with vinyl ester resin (stinky ****)
inside will have one coat of glass.

for any one of you that do alot of glass work outdoors in temperate areas i strongly suggest getting a silicone impregnated heating blanket. i picked up 2 for $40 Shipped from china. best money i have ever spent and im gonna get more. they come with 6 foot 3 prong power cord. and temperature controller. Pads heat from room temp to 250'C

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Looks good! If you wish to have radius corners (allot of work) you can use epoxy saturated paper tubes cut into half rounds. (Like the tubes carpet and sheet goods come on) It's tricky to set up but can give you something quite different from DIY methods. Or (from stitch and glue boat building) If you use glass and a large fillet on the inside, it can allow you to really round off the corners on the outside. I want to see what you use for windows!

Just a suggestion :) Possibly more strength would be gained with 2 layers of glass inside and one on the outside...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i not worried about strength with just filleted corners i could stand on it and in 6foot 2 230lbs

i could just make fiberglass tubes and mount them in but its not the look im going for.

I will have led strip lights on the inside and the hatch slide will also be moulded and have instruments mounted on it ...

i got about 10 projects on the go this winter

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using plexi/lexan what ever I bought it's 1/4'' and tinted but I might buy a less tinted sheet not sure yet

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,326 Posts
Thinking about a hard dodger, at least the top made similar to how they make surf boards. I may play around this winter and see how it turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts