SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read everywhere on this forum that the 1983 Pearson 34 did NOT have a cored hull... just cored decks. But I found a link to specs sheet that says that the hull is balsa cored. The forum won't let me post the link apparently because this is my first post.

Can anyone shed some light? Am I missing something? I sure hope the boat I'm trying to get isn't balsa cored :(

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I read everywhere on this forum that the 1983 Pearson 34 did NOT have a cored hull... just cored decks. But I found a link to specs sheet that says that the hull is balsa cored. The forum won't let me post the link apparently because this is my first post.

Can anyone shed some light? Am I missing something? I sure hope the boat I'm trying to get isn't balsa cored :(

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!
Balsa core in hull bottom...

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I have an 83 P34 and just replaced a thru-hull transducer. The hull is solid fiberglass. From what I've ready, the 34-2 which began production in '85 or '86 was cored
Here is a link to a 1982 Pearson Spec/Data Sheet for the Pearson 34 which was built for 1983 through 1986 model years. It clearly states "Balsa Core Bottom"..

Pearson 34 Specification Sheet

Of course spec sheets can be wrong so here is an image I have of a 1983 Pearson 34..

Here is the Starboard aft quarter (behind the quarter berth) of a 1983 Pearson 34 that I work on. There are many other areas where core can be found below water on this Pearson 34, but this area I happened to have an image of..

Course with Pearson anything is possible and "consistency" was not what I would consider a strong point for them so your may not be balsa while others are.... You may have also drilled through a non-balsa area near the keel or mid line....?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.