SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on choosing a color for a re-paint and I’ve discovered that Awlgrip colors can look VERY different on a boat than they look on the 1” square on the color chart. And, boats look very different in person than they do in online pictures.

I think I like Petrol Blue, but I’d really like to see it in-person, on a boat.

Anybody?

·
Registered
23,712 Posts
Colors also look very different in direct sunlight and overcast, not to mention when you are looking perpendicular or down the length of the side. In my experience, they have a tendency to look lighter than the paint chip, when on a large surface in sunlight. I suspect they also slightly lighten from UV over time, but it happens so slowly, it's hard to track. Red definitely fades.

For what it's worth, I switched to Alexseal on my last paint job and love it. Same durable paint, hard gloss, but repairable (unlike Awlgrip). Alexseal is color throughout the coating. Awlgrip cures with a clear layer separated on top, which makes feathering in a repair difficult. Alexseal was invented by the same guy who invented Awlgrip. He came out with it right after his non-compete expired, from selling Awlgrip to Akzo. Many manufacturers use it exclusively now.

Reactions: T37Chef
1 - 2 of 2 Posts