SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Merriman?? From Manchester, UK. (edit: I think I am confusing companies - wasn't Merriman American?) But the Merriman logo I know looked a bit like an industrial version of a trident.

The only other winch manufacturer that I know that begins with "M" is (was) Maxwell but that would make the winch newer than the boat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definetely not Merriman...close, but you're right, it's a trident. This is on the "When and If", Patton's old schooner. We need to find replacement parts, but can't find the make!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Just a thought... I assume that's a stripper arm. On a boat that age, is it possible that the logo was for a self tailing conversion that was fitted later, rather than the actual winch. Can you post a picture of the entire winch?

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Take a sample to a big industrial bearing supplier. They have an unimaginable variety of bearings.

I have Maxwells on my boat and I can't imagine they ever made anything as nice as yours - they are the weirdest design crap winches I've ever owned. One way of telling is to see if yours have sprags instead of conventional ratchets.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll try to get a bigger picture. We are just trying to find the bearings to replace it
It might be better to dismantle it and try to find what the bearings are - they may well not be original. If you can measure them precisely enough, you might find a modern equivalent.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Take a sample to a big industrial bearing supplier. They have an unimaginable variety of bearings.
+1

I've done this many times - just make sure the load rating is sufficient. I once put a set of "identical" bearings into a vintage motorcycle engine and they lasted about a thousand miles, because although the size was the same, the quality/load rating wasn't. And stick with major manufacturers if you can.

Even if you find the winch maker, the chances of finding original parts may be slim. An industrial supplier might be much easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts