SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I was scheduled to launch my boat this past Saturday, but we had high winds and rain that day (sustained 25 knots, gusting to 30-35). In the past, my marina has not launched in these conditions; but the marina has since gone to a new owner, and the launch was not cancelled. I'm not the most seasoned sailor, and still stress a bit when entering and leaving the slip in even modest conditions, and I know my limitations. So I asked to be rescheduled. The marina service manager, who does the scheduling, seemed surprised.

But to be honest, I was surprised the marina was going ahead with the launches in these conditions; particularly since I store inside (along with many others) during the winter, and the marina staff would have to put my mast on during those high winds, with a guy being lifted in a sling in those high winds to accomplish this.

Anyway, I was just curious if other marinas launch in similar conditions, and what conditions, if any, launches are cancelled. I'm sure if there was lighting the launches would have been cancelled.

Thanks!

·
Old soul
5,497 Posts
I wouldn't want to launch in those conditions either. But I guess a lot depends on the layout of the marina. It's not so much the launch, as just manoeuvring the boat once it's in the water.

As with all things boating, ultimately it is the captain's call. If you felt uncomfortable with the situation, I say you made the right call.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, yeah, i'm not questioning my call. I would rather be thought a lightweight (or whatever) than to bend to pressure and damage something by launching when I'm not comfortable with it. Also, I was by myself, no one else on the boat with me, but that wouldn't have mattered to me in those winds anyway.

·
bell ringer
6,031 Posts
Well yesterday here at the boat yard a boat left the pit and the wind an current got it and it got all gouged up as it bounced off the anchors on the boats

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,216 Posts
launching when I'm not comfortable with it.
Thats it. Your comfort factor. In France last year they have a 25 knot limit and it was way over that but covid had made a back log etc etc etc (in French). Nope, if I'm not comfortable then my boat does not move.

They resheduled.

Mark

·
Old soul
5,497 Posts
Like I said, it depends more on the layout of the marina and launch area, than consideration about the launch itself. A boat in a sling or trailer isn't going to care about gale-force winds. But once it's in the water, it's sure going to matter.

Stepping the mast would be more wind-sensitive, again depending on how it is done. One yard I was in used a rail system that would pass under the mast crane on the way to the water. We (un)stepped masts on land, while the boats were in their cradle on the railcar, so wind wasn't much of an issue. But in the more typical situation, with a boat tied to a dock, bouncing around in high winds certainly would make mast work hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts