SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw an ad for a dog potty mat made from looked like artificial turf that sat in a tray to collect liquid. Now I cannot find the ad again. I am thinking about buying one and would like to know if any of you have used such a setup and can anyone direct me to the website where these are sold? Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I made a setup years ago, for a jackrussel. I cut a door mat so it would fit in a plastic bin. The bin was about 3" deep with handles. I tied the bin to the lid of the aft lazzeret. I also put two grommets in the mat so it could be dragged after he did his bissness. It was a good setup once the dog got used to it.

·
Señor Member
1,457 Posts
Ultimately, your dog gets the final vote. We spent our entire trip up the East coast, through the Erie Canal, across Lakes Erie, Huron and then down Lake Michigan attempting to get our cocker to go on a turf mat, carpet, a coiled up line, etc, etc. We thought that we'd keep extending the time between our trips to shore, and when she couldn't hold it any longer she'd get comfortable going on the foredeck. She was pretty stubborn about the issue -- she went 72 hrs at one piont before she finally relented. Each time she went on the deck, we'd praise her and reward her. However, even with our best efforts to do a little behavior modification she'd keep holding it awaiting that magical dinghy ride to real grass.

Whatever you elect to try, we sincerely hope you have better luck that we're having...

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Sounds like Astroturf, or a similar product, which can be bought "porous" so the water drains through it. (Or you can hit it with a shotgun, literally.)

Backed up with a "bus box" bought at a restaurant supply house, or a large plastic tray. Photography supply houses used to sell large plastic trays (fully chemical resistant) 16x20, 20x24, even larger sizes, typically 2-3" deep for photo processing, which would do the job of holding the carpet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We used the Pup Head (found here Pup-Head™ Portable Dog Potty from PupGear Corporation) on our trip to the Bahamas. Our dog, Nate, was pretty miserable for the first two days, but learned to use it. This saved us many, many trips ashore and kept Nate comfortable and save.

I modified the pup head by drilling holes to allow me to attach the pieces together and to attach it to the aft deck. Our trip log with pictures of my buddy Nate can be found here. Split Decision

We really enjoyed having Nate with us on the trip.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Our little pup has been sailing since we got him at 7 weeks - he goes on the deck when he needs to and we chuck the solids over the side and rinse the deck. He views the deck as "outside" as opposed to the cockpit or down below, much the same as he does at home.

I really didn't want to be tied to a regime of washing out [email protected] boxes, my advice is to train the animal to not look for one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts