SailNet Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Again, has nothing to do with the comments about your callous statement. We are are entitled to our opinions and must know and accept others. That is not the question or the issue. The concern others are expressing is regardless of religious beliefs most humans have compassion for others as part of our DNA. I know we see lots of examples that contradict this statement every day but I still believe it is the minority of our race. IN MY OPINION your statement puts you in the minority and that is disappointing.

Take comfort in knowing that because our God is an incredible forgiving God, in your final moments you too can still find his grace. Their are countless stories of non believers turning to God when faced with their own potential demise. There is a reason for this, and the reason is it is ingrained in us because we were created in Gods image. We are the ones that keep screwing it up, not God. I know it doesn't make sense. That is because it is bigger then we are. Believing does take faith. The reward for the faith is a comfort and joy, a satisfaction that can only be know by a believer. Its like trying to explain to a non parent what it is like to have kids. Its not possible to know what you don't know.

For sake of a simple discussion I always take the stand of "why not". What is the worst thing that happens to me as a person that believes. I do my best to live a life that is centered around be a kind, giving, loving person. I believe in something that gives me peace throughout my living days. I die and there is no after life so I just disappear. OR...It is true and I have a glorious after life. I don't see the down side of believing in our God.

Anyway. Just my opinion of course. Feel free to fire away...

Foster

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I remember hearing another story about a dog lost this summer on one of the Great Lakes. It swam for quite a distance. While searching for it I Googled "dog lost on lake". I was amazed at the number of stories that came up about dogs that fell off of boats and had some fairly miraculous survival adventures before making it back to their owners. Apparently found dog stories are quite newsworthy, religious references aside.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,188 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody's posted this yet... so I will...

·
Administrator
270 Posts
OK, everyone... this topic is about a dog that fell overboard and being reunited with its owner.

If you need to debate religion, either start a new topic in the PRWG section of Off Topic, or take it to PMs.

I'll delete any more religious debate in this topic starting now.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,484 Posts
Moving right along...for the sake of the exercise, I googled news stories of lost dogs found and came up with 459,000,000 results (0.41 seconds).

With that, I think we can safely turn back to matters concerning sailing and hope everyone can keep their "issues" to themselves, no?

FWIW...

·
Registered
668 Posts
OK, everyone... this topic is about a dog that fell overboard and being reunited with its owner.

If you need to debate religion, either start a new topic in the PRWG section of Off Topic, or take it to PMs.

The topic includes the content in the link in the original post hence the posts that followed. I would suggest you then remove the link. I find it amusing that some who liked your post were also some of those who were debating that very aspect.

·
Administrator
270 Posts
The topic includes the content in the link in the original post hence the posts that followed. I would suggest you then remove the link. I find it amusing that some who liked your post were also some of those who were debating that very aspect.
Thank you for your input. I'll take that under advisement.

·
Registered
571 Posts

Dear Rezz:

With the utmost respect of your difficult and thankless position, I would like to make a request. Please, please don't delete any religious posts. I'm way ahead at work, therefore a bit bored, and posts like #35 and #41 tickle me, even though they are hackneyed. But it's all the different ways people are trying to insult me that really make me chuckle. Please don't take that away. :laugh

PS - Damn, too late. You went and did it anyway, without removing all religious posts and personal attacks. Respect withdrawn pending your completion of the task.

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Dear Rezz:

With the utmost respect of your difficult and thankless position, I would like to make a request. Please, please don't delete any religious posts. I'm way ahead at work, therefore a bit bored, and posts like #35 and #41 tickle me, even though they are hackneyed. But it's all the different ways people are trying to insult me that really make me chuckle. Please don't take that away. :laugh

@jwing -

I don't plan on deleting any of the posts before I walked in here. I think there's still something to be learned in this thread before it totally goes off the rails. Namely, keep all members of the crew (dogs included) on the boat, and you won't have to practice any crew overboard drills in real life.

Bottom line: There's a place on the forum for religious discussion and/or debate. This isn't it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bottom line: There's a place on the forum for religious discussion and/or debate. This isn't it.
Then remove the link and all other posts mentioning religion or move the entire thread to the appropriate place. Since my last post was on topic, as it stands, and was removed, my view is the action borders on censorship rather than moderation.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Then remove the link and all other posts mentioning religion or move the entire thread to the appropriate place. Since my last post was on topic, as it stands, and was removed, my view is the action borders on censorship rather than moderation.
No.
You just go find another forum to play instigator games.
Its what you do.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Good Gravy!!! This crap is still going on?

Rezz--At this juncture it might be wise to lock this thread as some of these bozo's can "fathom" the idea that my original post had absolutely nothing to do with religion--of which I am neither an advocate nor antagonist--and everything to do with sharing my enjoyment of the happiness one man had at recovering his DOB ("Dog Overboard") and seeing the event as a useful reminder of the wisdom of tethering one's crew-pets as well as crew-men/women for the sake of their safety.

FWIW I am most assuredly not a "stealth" protagonist of religion--the idea of which would crack up my (much) better half considering that I have always been viewed as a "rather grumpy" empiricist rather than rationalist--although I have noted that, reportedly, if one holds hobgoblins, witches and vampires up to a mirror one sees no reflection; whereas, if one holds [a] DOG up to a mirror, what does one see?

N'any case, with that, I think it wise for me to say "Adios Amigo"--Oop's, scratch that, I meant , "Goodbye" to this thread. (IOW, "The OP giveth, the OP taketh away--the OP is an Indian Giver"--a humorously intended sentiment which will, undoubtedly, engender paroxysms with the hyperbolic proponents of those of the native American/or perhaps Indian sub-continent, persuasion.

FWIW, "Here Homer Nods"

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
668 Posts
No.
You just go find another forum to play instigator games.
Its what you do.
Don't know what you are on about but am not surprised given your other posts directed at me. I don't believe I have ever engaged with you unless you engaged me first so I find it difficult seeing how you can accuse me of being an instigator but I'm sure it all makes sense to you.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.