SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are the owners of a 35'' sailboat that we sail out of Newport, RI and Sag Harbor, NY. We are considering the "adoption" of a dog. Can anyone offer any advice as to which breeds are good/bad on boats and how one gets dogs used to the heeling motion, etc. Any general or specific advice would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
! PERFECT dog for a couple living aboard. He has excellent bladder control, will fiercely protect your vessel when in port and will not wander away. He rarely barks, and when he does, it deems investigation. Unfortunately, he does not appreciate the company of children...or less-than- friendly strangers.

We adore him. He has been a trustworthy protector and delightful companion for our family. Unfortunately, a significant change in lifestyle warrants the necessity to find Studley a PERFECT home. We are offering him at no charge and will arrange for his transportation to a new home.

Please email: [email protected] or [email protected]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I saw this message on another site. I have a schipperke as well and she is wonderful on my Hinckley 49 ft center cockpit sailboat. I think the second part of the message got posted before the first. sorry.

"....09/01/01: Schipperke - Needs seagoing vessel to Capt.
Posted by: [email protected] (Sandie Illes)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Studley" is a 6 yo male Schipperke who LOVES boating. He is sturdy and healthy. Very handsome. He is the perfect loveable "lap-dog" and a dependable, loyal watch-dog. He is obedient, happy and carefree. He does not demand attention and appreciates silent company or exhausting rough housing... whatever the mood may be for his Capt.! ..."

·
Hitchin' a ride
3,191 Posts
Hey look, its the original dog thread.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Now where is SD when we REALLY NEED him to go after some turkey that digs up a really uselss old thread...............

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Sick him, Jake!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Nothing over a medium sized dog. This is about the only place where I would even think of an ankle biter for a boat.
But Water dogs are good also. You could have them tow your boat when there is no wind. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
The dog's personality has a lot to do with selection. Check out Nate on our trip to the Bahamas last year. He is a young Australian Shepherd. He was calm and laid back on the boat, and a wild man when he had the chance to play ashore.

Split Decision

Click on the link above for more photos

We really enjoyed having him with us. He was great about using his pup head. Other dog owners were envious because many of them had to plan their days run based on places to take the dog ashore.

Herb DuBois
Beneteau 36CC
Split Decision

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The dog's personality has a lot to do with selection. Check out Nate on our trip to the Bahamas last year. He is a young Australian Shepherd. He was calm and laid back on the boat, and a wild man when he had the chance to play ashore.

Split Decision

Click on the link above for more photos

We really enjoyed having him with us. He was great about using his pup head. Other dog owners were envious because many of them had to plan their days run based on places to take the dog ashore.

Herb DuBois
Beneteau 36CC
Split Decision
Nice pics on your site, Herb.

- CD

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
...We really enjoyed having him with us. He was great about using his pup head. Other dog owners were envious because many of them had to plan their days run based on places to take the dog ashore.
Uh, what exactly is a "pup head"?

·
Registered
203 Posts
A pup head is a plastic tray with a grate for drainage covered with an astroturf type carpet that is scented to be attractive to canines.

Mojopet - Pup-Head Portable Dog Potty

I drilled holes in the tray to allow me to secure the components together and to secure them to the boat.

After use, I would just dunk it overboard for a rinse. Occasionally, I would wash the carpet in soapy water in the bucket.

It was expensive, but saved us a lot of trouble during our 7 month trip.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A pup head is a plastic tray with a grate for drainage covered with an astroturf type carpet that is scented to be attractive to canines.

I drilled holes in the tray to allow me to secure the components together and to secure them to the boat.

After use, I would just dunk it overboard for a rinse. Occasionally, I would wash the carpet in soapy water in the bucket.

Never heard or sen that before. Interesting. I can see another chore for the boys on the boats.

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
We had friends with an Airdale. When he was a pup he was acting like he'd been bad (dog owners know this body language) and Gary found a pile of doo about as far forward as possible; at the base of the sprit on a schooner with a flying jib. He was delighted as this was easy to tip off and was well away from most activity. Gary even provided a bit of plastic grass carpet up there for Dudley.

For all the rest of his life Dudley would hang his head and go forward and then mope back no matter how he was praised.

Our Jake (Kerry Blue Terrier) looks up and whimpers and I would pull out the helm-seat and open the transom for him. He'd stay at the upper end and not drop onto the swim platform - can't ask too much - and then I'd use the shower hose as a washdown. Worked well. I don't know how he'll adapt as an older dog having to learn new tricks on our Pearson with the solid transom.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts

Thanks for that explanation, Herb. Interesting product.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
What a day.

First we find out that despite our best efforts we don't call them cylones we call them typhoons (see the trivia thread) and now I find we have a breed of dog called an Australian Shepherd.

I've never heard of the bloody things but apparently, yes, they do exist and they originated, now get this, in America.

Well I'll be buggered by a cricket , sorry, baseball bat.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
TDW-

The baseball bat is probably a better choice, I think it is narrower. :) My sister-in-law has a Australian Sheperd IIRC. :) Cute dog, named Issac. :)
What a day.

First we find out that despite our best efforts we don't call them cylones we call them typhoons (see the trivia thread) and now I find we have a breed of dog called an Australian Shepherd.

I've never heard of the bloody things but apparently, yes, they do exist and they originated, now get this, in America.

Well I'll be buggered by a cricket , sorry, baseball bat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts