SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster!

I was in the process of removing my fuel injectors from my 1981 Yanmar 2gm (not 2gm20). I had successfully removed the injectors and heats shields, however the precombustion chamber on one of them was stuck. I found a piece of throttle control cable that I bent to use as a picker. Unfortunately, as I fumbled the precombustion chamber out, a small piece of the home-brew picker fell of and into the cylinder head area (or whatever area is under where the precombustion chamber used to be).

So my question is this - does anybody know of a good way to clean out the cylinder area without having to remove the valve cover and head? Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated!!

·
Laugther is Good Medicine
151 Posts
I have worked on diesels for about 25 years but mostly HD diesels in earth movers and big trucks. However, fishing a small piece of metal out is common to any engine.

The hole size is quite small, is it about 1/4 to 5/16 in size ? Do you have a small magnetic that will fit down the injector hole ? If not, can you rig up a vacuum set up and apply suction over the hole. Now, I do not have a book to see the cyl. head construction. I assume that you have a small chamber that serves as the pre-combustion chamber to preheat. This small area serves to build up heat .. to aid in starting the engine and also proper burning of the fuel. Most likely, the small bit of cable dropped all the way down into the cyl. and is laying on the top of the piston.

If the piece is longer than the diameter of the hole, this will make it much more difficult to remove. You can carefully bring the piston up to the top of the cyl. DO Not Bring it all the way up, if you do, you will force the small bit into the top of the head surface or piston top and this will not be good. You will have to tear the engine apart to get the piece out.

How to tell if you are about to top out in the cyl. Depending on the head design, you may be able to use a 8 or 10 inch ty-rap to locate the piston top. Turn the engine over very slowly (with ratchet) to bring the piston up to about 1 to 1/2 inch from the top. Your doing this to increase your chances of getting the piece back out.

See how you make out, start with small flex magnetic and then to vac. house over the hole.

Good Luck,

Avery

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Take a long cotton bud, cover the end in grease, then put it in there. The bit of metal should stick to the grease.

I prefer a method where you can see that you have removed the metal, as opposed to the the vacuum cleaner where you won't (unless you empty the bag before and after)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are good ideas. The piece is small, say 1/8" to 1/16". I will first try the greased cotton ball and then the vac. HighFly, thanks for the guidance on bringing the piston up.

There's a chance I can borrow a buddy's snake-inspection-camera if I wait until the weekend. I'll let you all know how it turned out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Before you use the vacuum cleaner, stretch some old panty hose over the nozzle and secure it with a rubber band. That will allow you to see that you got the object out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts