SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a disturbing fact yesterday:

My jib tracks have NEVER been re-bedded in my boat's entire lifetime.

The tracks are flat, stainless steel with a teak standoff underneath, which allows the jib cars to slide along the track. Modern tracks are a "T", with the standoff being part of the extrusion. The teak standoff on my stbd track began to disintegrate and allow water into the cabin, specifically, wetting the galley and pantry storage.

When my buddy and I went to remove the track, we discovered that the nuts on the underside were partially covered by a flap of fiberglass cloth from the original build. This made them inaccessible, which is how I know that the job had never been done.

I have long considered upgrading to modern, aluminum T-track, but it was expensive and difficult to find in my existing bolt pattern. I just didn't want to fill all of those holes and drill new holes, just to accommodate a new style of track.

My buddy and I ended up ripping new, larger, stronger standoffs from HDPE, counter-sinking the existing holes, re-using the flat, SS track and bedding the whole thing in Maine Sail's butyl tape.

Hmm... now that I think about it, when comparing to the expense and hassle of filling and drilling new tracks, I'm not so sure I did it the hard way after all. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to getting the rail wet to see if it leaks.:D

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
I'm also a fan of re-using original hardware and fittings when possible.
For one thing that old hardware can be better made than newer products, and for another the old stuff looks like it belongs on your old boat.

I'm facing a similar dilemma with my boat. Last weekend we had gusts to 73 knots and when we visited our boat to take her back on the hard we discovered that our forward hatch had been completely ripped off it's hinge and was given to Neptune as a gift.
I have looked at the Lewmar/Bowmar hatches that are available in the price range of $400 - $600. None of these will be drop in replacements, requiring additional futzing to set them firmly in place.
My old hatch was square and all the new hatches have rounded corners. The new hatches look like bleach bottle accessories while the old hatch fit the look of our old boat.
My old hatch closed completely flush and square and rarely caught my jib sheets when tacking. The newer hatches would invariably overlap the hatch opening, presenting ridges where the sheets could get fouled.
For 1/4 of the money and hassle of retrofitting a new shiny hatch I can make a nearly exact replacement. Yet another winter project.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, sorry to hear that about your hatch. That's serious damage, for just sitting at the dock.

My old boat also did not come with a modern style hatch. It was basically a fiberglass shoebox lid that dogged shut with a single, flimsy latch. It was old and getting weak. The hinges were screwed directly into the cabin top, and not through-bolted. It was a real mess and not very safe.

I was lucky. I found an older style Bomar hatch at Bacon Sails but I had to slightly modify the raised boss that the new hatch frame would be mounted to.

I don't think I have the skills to totally replicate the old hatch from new cloth and epoxy, so that's one battle where "upgrading" was easier than sticking with the original hardware.

I'm also lucky in that it doesn't look out of place. Similar modern hatches were factory installed on P30's in later years.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,622 Posts
BH I guess it's a bit late to suggest you stop over at Bacon sails. they have tracks.. oh my! big ones, tall ones short ones, wide ones... I found a set for my H-23 back when we were working on it.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I had a leak on the starboard side, figured it must be coming in from the track, took up the track, filled and every hole, which was about 150 of them, with 3M 5200, then replaced the screws and bolts. I still have a leak, and now I think it's coming from the porthole, but not sure - I resealed and reseated that too.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that about your hatch. That's serious damage, for just sitting at the dock.
Boat was on a mooring 1/4 mile from shore on the Hudson River. Rig had also been taken off in prep for spending a winter ashore. Our mistake = not latching hatch closed prior to nasty blow.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,435 Posts
I had a leak on the starboard side, figured it must be coming in from the track, took up the track, filled and every hole, which was about 150 of them, with 3M 5200, then replaced the screws and bolts. I still have a leak, and now I think it's coming from the porthole, but not sure - I resealed and reseated that too.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:
I hope you NEVER have to remove them again, 5200 = strong sheet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.