SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Ā· Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Reaction score
I'm also a fan of re-using original hardware and fittings when possible.
For one thing that old hardware can be better made than newer products, and for another the old stuff looks like it belongs on your old boat.

I'm facing a similar dilemma with my boat. Last weekend we had gusts to 73 knots and when we visited our boat to take her back on the hard we discovered that our forward hatch had been completely ripped off it's hinge and was given to Neptune as a gift.
I have looked at the Lewmar/Bowmar hatches that are available in the price range of $400 - $600. None of these will be drop in replacements, requiring additional futzing to set them firmly in place.
My old hatch was square and all the new hatches have rounded corners. The new hatches look like bleach bottle accessories while the old hatch fit the look of our old boat.
My old hatch closed completely flush and square and rarely caught my jib sheets when tacking. The newer hatches would invariably overlap the hatch opening, presenting ridges where the sheets could get fouled.
For 1/4 of the money and hassle of retrofitting a new shiny hatch I can make a nearly exact replacement. Yet another winter project.

Ā· Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that about your hatch. That's serious damage, for just sitting at the dock.
Boat was on a mooring 1/4 mile from shore on the Hudson River. Rig had also been taken off in prep for spending a winter ashore. Our mistake = not latching hatch closed prior to nasty blow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.