SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard several reports in the last couple of days that a pod of dolphins, perhaps 15 or so were seen over last weekend (June 20, 21, 2009) in the West River. I've heard one first hand report who says he say them. The West river is just south of Annapolis, Maryland.

About 5 years ago a small pod was seen in Rockhold Creek, about 15 or 20 miles south of Annapolis.

These are extremely rare events. Anyone else see any this far north?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I have never seen any that far north.

We were out over the weekend in West River and vicinity. We did not see them.

We saw MANY schools of bull nose rays. Lots of "fins" (i.e., wing tips) breaking the surface.

Is the source reliable? I'd really like to show the kids if they're still there.

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the source is reliable - he's a carpenter who's worked at Hartge's forever. He sails frequently and comes from a sailing family. He said the Riverkeeper pump out boat saw them, too, as well as other sailors.

I heard from a couple of other sources who heard second hand. I dunno - maybe all the same rumor.

I doubt if they'd stick around - would you want to swim in that water if you had a choice?:puke

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
...I doubt if they'd stick around - would you want to swim in that water if you had a choice?:puke
Hey, we swim out there all the time!:p

If you happen hear that they are still in the vicinity -- I'd appreciate if you passed the info along. It's been quite a while since we've seen dolphins on the Bay.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I saw, firsthand, a very large pod of dolphins in the West River last Saturday morning. I would estimate that there were at least 15, and probably more. They all appeared to be adults, and were very active. I have seen them many times in Florida, but never on the Chesapeake Bay, and I don't remember ever seeing so many at one time, even in Florida.

I heard, second or third hand, that a small bullhead shark was recently found on a beach north of the nuclear power plant.

I wonder if an unusual availability of food brought them into the Bay, at the entrance, and they can't find their way back out.

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
My brother & his wife reported seeing a pod of at least 6 in the Potomac off Point Lookout on Sunday. Said they swam with the boat for about 30 minutes.

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
We were on the hook in Aberdeen Creek off the South River last weekend and I thought I saw one but figured no way, it's a cow nose ray and stopped looking. Now I wonder if perhaps I missed something special.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts