SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the dome light bulbs (dual bulb configuration) with LED's? The only conversion kits I've found (Dr. LED) have one large LED array and a base connector as opposed to pins.

The solution I've come up with is to slightly bend the tabs which hold the ceramic bases in the dome outward from each other and use side pin configured G4 LED bulbs; otherwise the G4 bulbs would overlap each other.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I've found it cheaper to replace with led dedicated units

·
Registered
68 Posts
I replaced all of the dome lights in my 37 with Marine Beam titanium nitride fixtures with the red/white lights that toggle between the two colors. Very high quality and they look just like the original brass fixtures but are supposed to not corrode. I have bought many Marine Beam lights during recent years and, without exception, they are of the highest quality.
I also replaced all of the reading spot lights with their titanium nitride red/white units. They all look and work great. Highly recommended.

5.5" LED Cabin Dome Light - Stainless Steel or Titanium Brass Styling

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Depending on what kind of dome lights you have... the typical catalina ones take standard RV base type lightbulbs.. we've used these in our RV (horse trailer LQ).. and I've now used them in 2 boats (Catalina and now my S2)... they are bright, not harsh white.

This is a 6 pack.... hope its OK to link to specific purchase.
Amazon.com: 6 x Gold Stars 11568302-06 LED Replacement Bulb 1141 /1003 / 1156 Base 190 LUMS 12V or 24V Natural White: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51D4PRK9RkL

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Thanks for that link Bill, that is going to cost me money. I've got to stop reading these boating forums.

John
You bought a boat what did you think was going to happen (boat = a hole in the water you pour large quantities of money into )

:D:laugher:D:laugher:D:eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
We swapped out all of our interior lights with Alpenglow LEDs. We tried a bunch of the LED light bulb replacements but never found one with a pleasing color. They all seemed to be too white. The Alpenglows have a very natural color, very close to incandescent light.

I really like the fact that they have a high and low setting for both the red and white lights, which has been great when trying to save amps. When sailing at night I turn on the low red light over the chart table to allow movement down below without annoying the off watch person. I switch it to high if trying to read something. Similarly, the low white setting is perfect for ambient lighting, and only turn it on high for reading. The red lamp barely registers on the amp meter, and the white light on low is less than an amp.

We also switched out our reading lamps with the Alpenglows as well, and couldn't be happier with them. There customer service is top notch. Initially, we weren't sure which wood finish to get and had to return the first lamp. They were super easy to work with and stand behind their product. We highly recommend them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I REALLY like the Sensibulb LED lights lights from Sailors Solutions (I have no affiliation). They are a warm white, use almost no electricity, and are an easy replacement for our older dome lights. The only problem is that they are $$ expensive.

Jay
SV Kenlanu
Buck's Harbor, Maine

===

Has anyone replaced the dome light bulbs (dual bulb configuration) with LED's? The only conversion kits I've found (Dr. LED) have one large LED array and a base connector as opposed to pins.

The solution I've come up with is to slightly bend the tabs which hold the ceramic bases in the dome outward from each other and use side pin configured G4 LED bulbs; otherwise the G4 bulbs would overlap each other.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
One thing many don't consider when changing over to LEDs is RFI, (Radio Frequency Interference). The voltage/current regulating part of the replacement lamps is the main offender. If it is a simple resistor circuit, they usually are not much of a problem and most of the cheap replacement modules are. Just up in price, you run into the regulators with chopper/switching power supplies and those, if not properly designed can make problems for any radio gear on board.

Some of the cheap modules for sale on the websites are rejects for various reasons. RFI being a reason someone might reject a particular manufacturer's lot of a certain design.

I have bought some LED modules that lasted for a few hours, others hardly worked at all, some are just fine. Experiment if you want to, just don't get too disappointed when your 50 cent no name ebay/amazon/whoever module doesn't please. On the other hand, I have gotten some smoking deals off the various sites.

Have FUN!
O'

·
Banned
263 Posts
There is such a range of prices for replacement warm white LED bulbs...

I have to wonder, is there really a 12X greater utility in the more expensive bulb? It is not just academic. I have 11 dome overhead light fixtures on my boat.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Are you replacing these fixtures to save power or because they are worn out? If the former, you might want to replace just those fixtures that you use often with the best replacements you can find (read: costly). I think you'd be OK with four: galley, nav station, one in saloon and one in the berth you use the most, and this latter one might be a reading light instead. Ignore those that you won't be using very much, assuming they still work OK, albeit pulling more power.

I'll tell you what I'd like to replace (in addition to a few light fixtures so I can have the easy switch between white and red light): fans. I have never found a fan I like. They are ALL crap as far as I can tell, whether pushing too little air, using too much power or making too much noise (hate that). But that's another discussion...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Are you replacing these fixtures to save power or because they are worn out? I
I replaced all my interior bulbs (both dome and reading) with LEDs five or six years ago. At the time Dr LED bulbs were the high end. The SuperBrightLED bulbs I listed in the second post in this thread were what I decided to use after trying two of the Dr LED bulbs. At first I left the halogen bulbs in the dome fixture in the engine compartment and the one at the foot of the quarter berth because I seldom used them. Then, I discovered that they were the ones I left on by accident, and they actually burned for hours and hours unnoticed.

My brass dome and reading light fixtures were corroded - brown going to green. I took them apart, stripped off the laquer, polished them on a buffing wheel, sprayed them again, and put them back together. A couple that were beyond redemption were replaced with the newer titanium nitride coated fixtures that are almost identical to the original ones.

I have not had a problem with LED driver RFI interferrence with NAVTEX, AM radio, HF, FM, or VHF. (But, the NMEA 0183 loop and the Walbro fuel pump are noisy between 500kc and 30mc in spite of my best efforts with capacitors and clamp-on chokes.)

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Dirt Free
2,770 Posts
Converted every fixture on my boat using LED's from Ikea.Cheap and easy (photos here)

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Thanks for that link Bill, that is going to cost me money. I've got to stop reading these boating forums.

John
Yea, but think how much you will save on batteries! :laugher:laugher

There are lots of ways to convince yourself that you are saving money, just ask my X!

·
Registered
69 Posts
We've been using the SensiBulb LEDs for several years and have been pleased with the light and the durability. They had some bad LED's from Mexico a while back but have replaced all of those without cost. We use them in dome lights and in the reading lamps.
Sam
s/v Grace PSC34#163

1 - 19 of 19 Posts