1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
----

"My question is: Can the CG board my Bahamian flagged sailboat? In US waters"

In US waters the USCG can board you.

"In Bahamian waters?"

Certain countries have an agreement with the USCG enabling the USCG to ride along on the host countries vessels and board vessels in the host countries territory. They can also board from the USCG vessel if there is an official from the host country aboard said vessel. The Bahamas is one of the countries that has such an agreement. As to whether the USCG could board you in Bahamian waters without a Bahamian official aboard, I rather doubt it. But I wouldn't bet too much on that opinion.

"Just curious."
As a general rule, it;s not much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The reality is the USCG can board you almost anywhere they desire...and you can argue about it later. A lot of it depends on what it is, you are doing, and do you appear to be a threat, or terrorist, or drug runner, or been to Cuba, or ....

When at sea, the rules are different and your rights are no where near the same, or protected, as they are when you are on land.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My question is: Can the CG board my Bahamian flagged sailboat? In US waters? In Bahamian waters? Just curious.
In U.S. waters, yes, because you are in U.S. waters. In Bahamian waters, yes, because the U.S. and Bahamas have an agreement allowing them to.

In any case, the answer to "can they?" is very definitely yes, under any and all circumstances, unless you have more and bigger guns than they do. The question of "can they legally?" is a different matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts