SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Welcome The good news is you can learn man has been doing sailing for years. Jeff gave you the best intro I have seen.
You need to start with just one step. That is how all journeys happen. I think it would be in your best interest to start with a small sum of money on a step that you can accomplish and then build upon.
Good day, Lou

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Scott I like your Catalina -22 plan. I need to give full discloser I own a C-22 I feel they are the right size to learn to learn. They have a very good class and support for the owners. After the sunfish they are the 2nd most popular sailboat. To me this indicates a good product. Anytime you get a sailboat type that keeps appealing to the public it tells you something must be right.
For the OP here to learn.... Pretend you never saw a wheel ever :confused:
Nothing is wrong with bigger or smaller. I made the choice to start smaller 13 foot, half the size of the Catalina-22. Smaller boats cost less.
You can go all in, with full determination but this will cost both money and time. This is on the way in and on the way out. It is rare for a boat to sell for more. One needs to know if you are the go for it type personality. If you are the go big or go home proceed and have fun. A few do this starting big and make it work. Please do some research. A small boat and a large blue water boat is like the difference between a pedal bicycle and large 5th wheel camper. You could decide you do not like anything with wheels by starting with one or the other without research and the right introduction. You might be a sports car or jeep person. Right now we do not know. The introduction is so important
A sailing club or a class might be able to let you ride in the 5th wheel, sports car and the jeep before you buy one.
I am still learning.
Kind Regards, Lou

1 - 2 of 2 Posts