SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forecast does not look good - CAT 4 - hitting around Melbourne - of course that is where my boat is ( Liberty 28) survived last 2 hurricanes ( Irma and Matthew) on the hook off city of Cocoa but with my old Pearson 26 - now in a slip - the slips are behind a condo complex at the very tip of the Banana River before it empties into the Indian River - its pretty protected and I have experience with riding out hurricanes ( the boat ) in slips - however a direct hit from a CAT 4 - and all bets are off - will be stripping the boat tomorrow and tripling up dock lines - and put out every fender I have - not sure how much storm surge there will be - Cape Canaveral the closest inlet has a lock to protect the Indian and Banana rivers - the next inlet south is a small one at Sebastian - but that is a good 30-40 miles away - of course if it is a true Cat 4 - the ocean could cross AIA and its olny about 1/2 mie to marina.

Have one question - my boat has a bowsprit with 2 anchors hanging off it - might just take them off and back to house or could drop them straight down - and use the chain as a dampening force against the bow bouncing up and down - not sure it would make much of a difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,497 Posts
Maybe have a boys adventure weekend...
Find a friend with fuel cans and drive the boat south for 2 days. Thats what you have before its too rough.

1 model shows hitting you dead on, 2 models show just a tad further south, another shows direct at boca. The boca one turns north inland and sucks/blows the water outta already shallow okeechobee.
2 of thos 4 models have it crossing florida, working west along shore of gulf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
I'm in Fort Pierce and I'm pretty concerned that I'm going to lose my boat.

I'm doing everything I can to prep it ... stripping everything from the deck and tripling up on the docklines, but the forecast looks really bad. I've been researching, and I can't find anywhere to move to that is liable to be safer than here in Ft. Pierce marina (my mast is too tall to head up toward Indiantown and Indiantown is liable to get hit bad as well) ...

I expect that if the boat survives this, it will be 50% the prep work I do and 50% dumb luck. As long as the storm surge doesn't lift me off the piers and no other boat tears loose and hits me I should come through OK ... but neither of those two things are guarantees ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
The 'cone of uncertainty' is right now (3:07 pm EDT Thursday) from the Keys all the way up to Brunswick, GA. It's nuts to try and move the boat.

I'd leave it where it is, do everything I know how to do to prepare and secure it and get myself someplace safe.

Good luck and fingers crossed for all of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,413 Posts
Wow! I'm glad we don't have to deal with hurricanes here! Even a good winter storm causes significant damage, and it is nothing like what you guys have to deal with!

What does insurance cost down there??

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,236 Posts
I'm in Fort Pierce and I'm pretty concerned that I'm going to lose my boat.

I'm doing everything I can to prep it ... stripping everything from the deck and tripling up on the docklines, but the forecast looks really bad. I've been researching, and I can't find anywhere to move to that is liable to be safer than here in Ft. Pierce marina (my mast is too tall to head up toward Indiantown and Indiantown is liable to get hit bad as well) ...

I expect that if the boat survives this, it will be 50% the prep work I do and 50% dumb luck. As long as the storm surge doesn't lift me off the piers and no other boat tears loose and hits me I should come through OK ... but neither of those two things are guarantees ...
Good luck Bill...stay safe..
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,236 Posts
In 2 days youd be in marathon.
No way id stay where a direct hit is forecasted.
So you’d put your life in danger and head out.....that’s just foolish advice
You can’t out run the weather or the waves.

Boats are replaceable ....life is not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,497 Posts
So you’d put your life in danger and head out.....that’s just foolish advice
You can’t out run the weather or the waves.

Boats are replaceable ....life is not.
You are not in a storm for 2 days moving south along the coast, but thats endangering your life, in your mind?
The storm comes later.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,236 Posts
Storms like hurricanes are unpredictable
The track has already been adjusted south by one model focusing on Lauderdale by the European model.
Wave propagation reaches out days in advance

And suppose something breaks on the boat while you are trying to run away. It isn’t so bad if the only life you were risking were your own, but to risk the CG and Rescue Personel ( others lives) seems very irresponsible.

Aren’t you in the Bahamas? It’s also in Dorians path. Are you following your advice and heading to Marathon Key?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Guyfromthenorth

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,497 Posts
Just sit on the tracks.
Being proactive with advance plans endangers your Iife and could inconvenience others. Got it.
White flag. Hope it derails up the line.

I dont think you have an understanding of what my options were a few days ago, or what they are now.

You made your judgement call.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,236 Posts
Just sit on the tracks.
Being proactive with advance plans endangers your Iife and could inconvenience others. Got it.
White flag. Hope it derails up the line.

I dont think you have an understanding of what my options were a few days ago, or what they are now.

You made your judgement call.
It was a simple question....are you in the Bahamas? Your avatar says you are.

If so....why aren’t you following the advice you gave Bill and high tail it to Marathon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
I'm in Fort Pierce and I'm pretty concerned that I'm going to lose my boat.

I'm doing everything I can to prep it ... stripping everything from the deck and tripling up on the docklines, but the forecast looks really bad. I've been researching, and I can't find anywhere to move to that is liable to be safer than here in Ft. Pierce marina (my mast is too tall to head up toward Indiantown and Indiantown is liable to get hit bad as well) ...

I expect that if the boat survives this, it will be 50% the prep work I do and 50% dumb luck. As long as the storm surge doesn't lift me off the piers and no other boat tears loose and hits me I should come through OK ... but neither of those two things are guarantees ...
Wishing you good luck, Bill - and I think you’re doing the right thing by prepping the boat as well as you can and then getting to safety yourself. Work the plan that works for you!

I’m doing the same thing up here in Merritt Island.

And if there is a silver lining here it’s that it looks like Dorian is going to make landfall - wherever and whenever that turns out to be - moving pretty much perpendicular to the coastline, so the swath of maximum impact on boaters will be as small as possible. Would be different if D was following a track like Irma’s that ended up raking the entire state from south to north....
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
12,236 Posts
Good luck to you too Andy...stay safe
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,167 Posts
I stayed on my boat whilst it was on a hurricane mooring in Hurricane Gonzalo.

Pretty stupid thing to do.

A guy a few hundred meters away was killed when he stayed aboard.

It's only a boat.

In prep... : some of those dock cleats are cheap and, well, cheap. They can pull out or snap. I've heard that a line passed under the whole pontoon and be effective.

To those there.... Good luck. I hope your boat survives.

Don't be stupid :grin


Mark
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,167 Posts
could drop them straight down - and use the chain as a dampening force against the bow bouncing up and down - not sure it would make much of a difference

I think it's a good idea. They could do more like that than sitting at home.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The boat draws 4 feet - full keel and I am in 5 feet of water so even if it sinks - its not going far - at the anchorage in Cocoa - a few could not find their boats after Irma - sunk or smashed to pieces by other boats - hardest thing to take into account is the storm surge - generally the area get very little tidal change - at most 6 inches. A lot will depend on wind direction - and that wont be well known until I know if the storm is south or north of boat -_ hopefully not a direct hit. winds from the east or west it is pretty protected ( especially east) from south a bit of a fetch but have a swing bridge to break up some of the waves - to the north - longer fetch but we are tucked a bit in from north winds - what saved me in Irma - 4 anchor rodes - 3 chafed through but one help and saved boat - will do same this time but with dock lines = already have everything doubled up will just double up again - its a cutter so both head-sails will come down and main will come off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
If it sinks it could roll then its really wet. We went thru 3 hurricanes when we lived down there, Malabar a few miles south where Bill. is. We kept our boat on a mooring . Once she broke free and ended up in the mangroves, no damage. Once she stayed put and one hurricane we didn't own a boat. What I will say about hurricanes is this, 23 hours of boredom with 15 minutes of sheer terror.

Stay safe and away from windows. Good luck.
 
  • Like
Reactions: capta and BillMoran

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
I've a wee bit of experience with hurricanes, most recently with Michael. Boat was anchored out within 5 miles of where the eye came ashore. Sustained winds in excess of 150 mph with gusts approaching 200 mph. Waves in a protected " hurricane hole " bayou as much as 7 feet. Probably 200 or so boats in the bayou with about 50 anchored out and the rest in marina's and private slips. After the storm there were 5 boats still floating of the ones anchored out and maybe 20 of the boats that were at slips managed to survive. Mine was one of the anchored boats still floating but she had taken a hell of a beating. Either way you go the odds are not good. Had I stayed in my slip my boat would have most likely been holed and lost when the mast of a neighbors boat gave way and cane crashing down. I had kept the boat in the slip through a weak tropical storm and got a desperation call telling me that I needed to get down to the boat right away because it looked like the piles were going to be pulled up. Luckily we only lost one pile and the others held but I decided right then and there that I would not leave the boat in the slip for another storm. Had I not had so many other responsibilities I would have definitely moved the boat. 100 miles away from the eye makes a huge difference. In Michael's case even 50 to the west would have done the trick. In my humble opinion Reggie is not wrong in this case. That's not to say that it's right for everybody or every case but I think he makes a valid point. I was very lucky that no one dragged down on me. There was a barge that broke free a little closer to the bay and crushed several large fishing boats and caused others to drag which in turn created a domino effect of these boats dragging down down on even more boats.
The attachment is what I used as a storm anchor set up.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,317 Posts
I'm in Fort Pierce and I'm pretty concerned that I'm going to lose my boat.

I'm doing everything I can to prep it ... stripping everything from the deck and tripling up on the docklines, but the forecast looks really bad. I've been researching, and I can't find anywhere to move to that is liable to be safer than here in Ft. Pierce marina (my mast is too tall to head up toward Indiantown and Indiantown is liable to get hit bad as well) ...

I expect that if the boat survives this, it will be 50% the prep work I do and 50% dumb luck. As long as the storm surge doesn't lift me off the piers and no other boat tears loose and hits me I should come through OK ... but neither of those two things are guarantees ...
Good luck to you, Bill, and to everyone else down there. I came looking for you here because I remember your posts from last July. I assume you haven't found anywhere to haul out. I still think that staying put is the right thing, especially given your concerns over engine reliability. I know it's easy for me to say: It's just a boat. Do what you can to protect it, but focus the bulk of your skills and resources on protecting your own life and those around you. Keep your priorities straight.
 
1 - 20 of 186 Posts
Top