SailNet Community banner

181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
There was an easterly flow from the NW quadrant of Dorian for two days successively driving water into the mouth of the Chessie for 4 successive high tides and preventing it from exiting. That coupled with rain caused the high tides. The tides were predicted. Waxing gibbous of the moon didn’t contribute as it was in its 9th day past a new moon.

I noticed our boat unusually high and Annapolis City Dock had minor flooding.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Looks like its going to hite Nova Scotia as a category 2. That seems unusual.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5870123/hurricane-dorian-nova-scotia/
A bit, not much. About 20 years ago a hurricane eye rolled right into Halifax harbor. We had Igor in Newfoundland more recently, not a wind event but heavy rain did a lot of damage, stranded entire towns, and swept away one person.

Watching Dorian Head North at the moment. It was bigger on the S and W coast. Here it was a little wind and rain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canada_hurricanes

Damage left by Juan.
September 29, 2003: Hurricane Juan is sometimes considered Atlantic Canada's most widely destructive hurricane in over a century. Juan killed 8 and caused over $200 million in damage. Power outages in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island left over 300,000 Canadians without power for two weeks. Many marinas were destroyed and many small fish craft were damaged or sank. Hurricane-force gusts were reported as far out as 100 miles (160 km) on either side of Juan at landfall with an astounding peak gust of 144 mph (229 km/h) (equivalent to a Category 4 hurricane) recorded in Halifax Harbour, although it was a Category 2 at landfall with 100 mph (160 km/h) sustained winds.[26]

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
I’m weathering Dorian here on the NE side of Newfoundland in Lewisporte (which Hpeer knows well). So far so good. We’ve seen sustained 40s, into 50s at times, but no surge and the marina seems well built.

As long as my lines remain in place and the fenders last I should be OK. But we just had our first near-casualty when a foresail tried to unfurl. A bunch of us got there in time to get it re-wrapped.

Fun fun...:eek:

ADD: The foresail was on another boat … not mine.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
I’m weathering Dorian here on the NE side of Newfoundland in Lewisporte (which Hpeer knows well). So far so good. We’ve seen sustained 40s, into 50s at times, but no surge and the marina seems well built.

As long as my lines remain in place and the fenders last I should be OK. But we just had our first near-casualty when a foresail tried to unfurl. A bunch of us got there in time to get it re-wrapped.

Goood to hear your safe.

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
Administrator
7,534 Posts
But we just had our first near-casualty when a foresail tried to unfurl. A bunch of us got there in time to get it re-wrapped.

Good on you for going to help! :)

It's not so pleasent to leave the safety of your boat to help someone who didn't bother to properly prepare theirs.

Well done :)

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
Good on you for going to help! :)

It's not so pleasent to leave the safety of your boat to help someone who didn't bother to properly prepare theirs.

Well done :)
Thanks Mark. I had too — it would have kept me awake all night (until it shredded) ;). Kidding of course. Boaters help boaters. It’s what we all do.

It was kinda fun (in retrospect — not at the time). The threatened boat was right beside one from northern Europe. I didn’t have time to catch the exact location, but their team of three got there just ahead of me, and already had a plan. We all worked together, but most of the instructions were in a language unfamiliar to me. This was interspersed with “Newfaneese” from the other local sailors, which can also be as hard to understand.

But we ‘got er done.’

Wind has dropped down to civil levels now (20, gusts to 30 knots maybe). I sure as heck never want to face more than a Cat II hurricane.

181 - 186 of 186 Posts