SailNet Community banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
23,437 Posts
Release them to self rule.
That's an option, but they don't uniformly want it. The residents of PR have been net migrating to the mainland for 50 years and they prefer that option.

I've gotten a pretty good education on PR recently. It could be a national gem, but it's so poorly managed and stuck in the past. Really a shame. It seems people crave the idea of visiting Cuba. There is no way Cuba has anything that PR doesn't, shy of 1950s cars.

Originally, PR was the center of commerce in the entire Caribbean and Central American trades routes. That's long over. It was then considered a key outpost to protect the mainland during WWII. That's no longer necessary. We used some of it for naval gunnery practice for years, but they kicked them out. They pay no federal income taxes, but they receive extraordinary financial support and everyone is asking the other guy how we got in this pickle. There is a way to a real tourist treasure there, but they can't get out of their own way.

Reactions: photoviewer

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The Bahamas, Montserrat, St Vincent, St Lucia, Grenada, and Dominica have all been given self rule.

St Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique have not.

Make the comparison.

Lots of folks complain how poorly LR was treated after the hurricanes. Now look at how Dominica was treated. Make the comparison.

The Chinese Re already make it inroads in the Caribbean, they are building a rather large housing block in St. David’s, Grenada and are helping Dominique to fix the roads the Chinese originally built.

While I may be missing something the only signs of USA aide I see are coming from private works.

Will be gladly corrected if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

·
Registered
23,437 Posts
Did you miss the big smiley in what you quoted?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
CNN pulled the map with the typo within 10 seconds and issued a correction within 30 seconds, literally https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1169657747782041602?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

If everybody who makes an honest mistake does this, I don't have a problem with that.

Do you?
I'm still waiting for his factual evidence that CNN actually called someone a moron. (Spoiler alert: They never have.) Bashing CNN with false rhetoric has become a form of political sport, and IMO should not be engaged in by forum members or moderators. Smilies don't make it acceptable.

Admitting mistakes is liberating, and a core tenet of Judeo-Christian culture. Those who refuse to admit mistakes have difficulty improving and moving on. (And I am NOT referring to POTUS or any other political figure with this comment.)

[EDIT: Oops, forgot something: :grin ]

·
Registered
23,437 Posts
You guys really need to chill. Everyone gets your point, as well as Mark's. You're trying to stand on a single word technicality to appear to be on the upper road, but it's ain't working. Easily politically triggered.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
PR, Political arguing aside - received $41 BILLION (maybe up to $90 billion long term) from the US Federal government.
That's not quite correct. $41 billion has been *allocated* to Puerto Rico, but so far only about a third of that has been spent.

·
Registered
23,437 Posts
That's not quite correct. $41 billion has been *allocated* to Puerto Rico, but so far only about a third of that has been spent.
That's correct. Take a peak at the uprising down there, where they've kicked the governor out of office, along with many of his cabinet for all sorts of violations. The US govt rightfully doesn't trust them with the money and needs stability in the government. That isn't going to happen any time soon.

No doubt there are many who are happy to see the funds delayed, because of the net financial outflow to the islands and no resolution to their long term status.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
The immediate disaster response to the Bahamas will be adequate.

Where the huge disparity will be is the huge sums invested into hurricane damage in the USA compared to the Bahamas.

Puerto Rico population 3.4 million Vs Bahamas Population 395,000
PR, Political arguing aside - received $41 BILLION (maybe up to $90 billion long term) from the US Federal government. Is any country going to give the Bahamas $4 billion?

I notice China is trying to make grants for hurricane relief so they can 'buy' the Bahamas - China has already built the worlds largest container port in the Bahamas, in Freetown.

Perhaps the US/China battle will work well for the Bahamas... but to the tune of $4B? I doubt it.

Make no mistake, if you are going to have a natural disaster quickly move your country into the United States!
So maybe Greenland should become part of the US?

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Not sure if this is due to Dorian, but tide in Chesapeake where I am is almost 2’ above normal. Yesterday Dorian seemed to suck a lot of water out (tides were at normal, vs 1’ above normal that they’ve been virtually all summer. Maybe it’s due to runoff from yesterday’s rains, but we didn’t get much more than an occasional drizzle.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,437 Posts
I'm thinking the south side of Dorian, as she moved north, which would have had westerly flow, was pushing water into the Chessy and Delaware. The Bay up here only got about a foot of surge and was on an outward tide, when it passed. Saw 35-40kt winds max for only a very short time. The Bay entrance got the traditional high surf.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Info is available on how huericanes pull water in and push it out. Very interesting , at least for shallow areas

...and at some moon phases can uncover many sq miles of seabed

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I'm thinking the south side of Dorian, as she moved north, which would have had westerly flow, was pushing water into the Chessy and Delaware.
I’d think westerly flow would push water out, not in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not sure if this is due to Dorian, but tide in Chesapeake where I am is almost 2’ above normal. Yesterday Dorian seemed to suck a lot of water out (tides were at normal, vs 1’ above normal that they’ve been virtually all summer.
The water has to come from somewhere. The water in my bayou was the lowest I've seen for summertime in many, many years. (Northern Gulf Coast)

Years ago a storm hit Pcola and sucked all the water out of Mobile Bay. The only water left was the main ship channel, like an extension of Mobile River, and people were walking all the way out to it.

·
Registered
23,437 Posts
I’d think westerly flow would push water out, not in.
Water flow, same direction. Westerly would be toward the Bay, from the northern side of the counter-clockwise spinning storm ( I got south/north mixed up). It would be accompanied by easterly winds. Confusing.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts