SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
For those of you who normally travel the Northern Bahamas / Abacos, and have previously witnessed the utter destruction by H. Wilma (2005); and, since the current prognostications for Dorian are to take more than **36+ hours to cross the Abacos** (!!!), I would suggest to consider donations to the all volunteer Bahamian Air Sea Rescue Association - BASRA, the Bahamian Red Cross or the Bahamian Methodist Church diocese. With the exception of Hopetown/Elbow Cay, most of the population of the Abacos live 'just a few feet above the tide line'. The potential, sadly again, is for widespread utter destruction.
The Bahamas is a relatively poor country; thus, the cost of such a national emergency is going to probably be 'catastrophic'.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Abaco update from 3:30 PM

Dorian has made landfall. Local winds reported nearing 180+ mph ???!!!!!

Marsh Harbour mostly underwater and with severe damage to most/many structures. Twitter feeds are showing many structures, especially on the south and east side of the harbor have been 'flattened'/collapsed. Most exposed trees are reportedly 'down' or 'snapped off'.

New Plymouth (town) on Green Turtle - the lower town + harbor structures/quay completely under water. Huge surge is apparently filling the Sea of Abaco, and is over-topping most the lower lying land.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
From what I saw in the Virgins a couple of years ago I don’t think there is any hidy hole in Abaco safe from such a storm.

Good luck to all involved.

Reactions: zeehag

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
The cone demarcates the likelihood of where the eye wall may end up. It does not demarcate how far away you need to be. If the eye wall ends up on one of the edges of the cone depending upon whether you are north or south of the eye you may need to be quite a distance from the cone to be safe. The safe distance also depends upon how tight the wind field is. With prior major hurricanes this can be hundreds of miles.
Sorry for the clarification RU but others reading your post may infer just being out of the cone is good enough. Know you know better so my apologies again.
Latest I saw was it’s going to brush the Florida coast. If so everyone with a boat in the water on the Floridian east coast is at risk.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
If it was like that in Marsh Harbor then they are in terrible shape.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The cone demarcates the likelihood of where the eye wall may end up. It does not demarcate how far away you need to be. If the eye wall ends up on one of the edges of the cone depending upon whether you are north or south of the eye you may need to be quite a distance from the cone to be safe. The safe distance also depends upon how tight the wind field is. With prior major hurricanes this can be hundreds of miles.
Sorry for the clarification RU but others reading your post may infer just being out of the cone is good enough. Know you know better so my apologies again.
Latest I saw was it’s going to brush the Florida coast. If so everyone with a boat in the water on the Floridian east coast is at risk.
Remember the mariners 1-2-3 projection? Haven’t seen it on the NHC site for some time now.

This one looks to taking a similar route that Matthew did in 16’. We had a lot of problems in the Low Country of Ga/Sc. There are still wrecks on the outlying islands from that one.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Your avatar says your in the Bahamas....are you there?
How are you dealing with this?
How did you secure you boat?
Im approx 250nm se of the eye.
Boat is secured with an anchor in 14ish ft of water.
The hurricane passed far enough to the north, so no probs here

The island chain is approx 500nm from end to end

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
there is only 30 percent remaining of the grand island over which the cane has sat on its vacation. 70 percent and its inhabitants are mia.
mia also include a stormchaser met who lived on grand island.. many many others. is a looong list.
sorry cruising grounds are nonexistent at present.
no marsh harbor at all. say goodbye to your well known cruising coves and wait until the underwater searching has been accomplished and sounding of what remains is completed.
will not be same as you remember it.
there are many popup orgs for rebuilding abacos..wait until you know whether these are legit or not... shadiness happens.
"@iCyclone (Josh Morgerman) has now been reported missing along with countless other Bahamians. What #hurricandorian is doing is simply unprecedented and beyond heart breaking... and I truly hope everyone involved makes it out okay but by God they may need a miracle... 🙁🙏🏻 pic.twitter.com/wUoaw1HpO0
-- Aaron Brogan (@a_a_ronbrogan) September 3, 2019"

possibilities of tornados on fla coast--waterspouts have been spotted.
careful folks.
in another forum i read whining sounds from catamaran owners seeking info on their preshuss boats... before even searches have been made for people missing. this is a lil over the top in self absorption. please be kind and please have some humanity and remembrances of and for those who are dead and missing before expending time spewing on selfish loss of a symbol of ridiculous wealth in the face of such devastation. remember folks lost lives and homes in htis business as well as their
sources of incomes-- ie, you cruisers. there will be no french fries in marsh harbor again. be kind and helpful.
sorry for rant but puleeeeze. is too soon for selfishness. dark humor has a place, selfishness before body count is complete is over the top. yes your presshuss is missing. so was gollums and looky where and how that went.
i understand the concern, but , before even the missing people have been counted????

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well... a big chunk of Grand Bahama is now underwater.

There's video of people on their second floor with water lapping up the stairs.

The airport is completely submerged.

I can't imagine any boats anywhere on that island are still intact after this.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Just saw a USCG aerial pic of Marsh Harbour ... total destruction @ center of town near the commercial docks, is essentially flattened. Even the airport on relatively high ground was totally flooded. Storm surge was apparently well above the level of the first floors of most dwellings and businesses along and adjacent to the harbor, etc. VERY few buildings now have roofs. Utter destruction.
March Harbor boat yard (on the far eastern side of town) has most of its boats scattered all over the adjacent land.
Marsh Harbor Beach Resort & Marina (eastern side) had approx. 20ft. surge, dock/slip pilings are only ~12'. Most of the trees (this place has a major Bahamian nature preserve) are down, broken off, gone or totally denuded of leaves.

A good compilation of pics can be found on Facebook/Royal Marsh Harbour Yacht Club

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Such a pity!
Back 100 meters from the bay and its all local people. They will be devestated.

So sad.

Reactions: zeehag
21 - 40 of 45 Posts