SailNet Community banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
This is too weird.... first a false alarm and then several weeks later the real deal and the crew is picked up by a freighter? Can't make this sh*t up!

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
Maybe the person who rang 911 a few weeks ago wasn't that stupid.

?

Reactions: mbianka

·
Administrator
7,571 Posts
I feel like there might be some operator error involved here.

"Feel like"... The great legal level of proof required to hang a man.

:devil

·
Registered
35 Posts
Weird, because in the La Vagabond thread everyone says is safe to sail in November.

What a difference a thread makes
Context matters here. Mt Desert Island is at 44N & we are in December.

Look at Vagabonde's track - they stayed well South until they got close to their destination & then went North. If there was no weather window, the Vagabonde people would have waited for one before going North.

The Vagabonde people are seasoned sailors who know what they are doing. Not sure about the skipper of the Dove.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Context matters here. Mt Desert Island is at 44N & we are in December.

Look at Vagabonde's track - they stayed well South until they got close to their destination & then went North. If there was no weather window, the Vagabonde people would have waited for one before going North.

The Vagabonde people are seasoned sailors who know what they are doing. Not sure about the skipper of the Dove.
My bad, looks like this was off Norfolk. Would be interested in the co-ordinates though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting thread. Don’t know the area at all but sounds like they be cruising in the wrong time of the year. Out here in Pacific Northwest you don’t go ocean sailing in the winter months, it is just too brutal. I remember one December day in winter many years ago at Shilshole Bay Marina, a kid comes up to me, can I get a ride to the store? I said, depends on where you came from. Hawaii! You’re on! He showed me their penciled path on a chart (no gps, phones back then), a number of big loops made when big storms hit and they had to run downwind. They had a stove fire and nearly lost it surfing down the front of a huge wave but fortunately the tires they were dragging caught hold....

41 - 48 of 48 Posts