SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
We're doing it, but I can't make the final committment with my crew since the boat isn't in the water yet. After last year's Gov Cup, I decided to strip the hull to bare glass and put a decent bottom on her. I'm almost done and we should be in in a week. I'm cutting it kind of close, but it should work.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm out. I removed all the paint from the bottom, faired the keel and was ready to buff the topsides and paint the bottom when work intervened. A short-fuse pop-up project with a hard deadline fell in my lap. Unfortunately for sailing, it represents potentially significant revenue for my company and since I'm part owner, I can't ignore it.

I'm bummed. Had crew lined up and everything.

Registered
Reaction score
I will have the memory of my 4am stint at the helm, close hauled in a steady 18 knots on a moonless night for a long, long time. The shooting stars sparking across the constellations like fireflies, as the boat moved effortlessly from my slight corrections at the helm kept me in awe, inspite of my weariness. Occasionally, the navigation lights of a fellow racer would appear, sometimes just to recede in the darkness as we crossed tacks, other times hovering with us, until one boat or the other tacked away again to once again become a solitary speck under the canopy of the Milky Way. Just an amazing experience.
Now I just plain hate you :) :) :)

Good job. Next year, I'm there!

If you don't mind me asking, what route did you plan to avoid the flood and why wasn't it a good bet? I suspect that you went an inshore route or toward shallower water and the benefit wasn't enough to counter the extra distance?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.