SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Now getting my feet wet, and hope that I'll be welcomed aboard. I'm a Maniac currently living in Japan, yet spent many summers back in the '60s, '70s, and 80's cruising the shores of Boothbay, Vinalhaven, Camden, Monhegan, Friendship (love the sloops), Bath, Belfast, and of course, Tenants Harbor and Port Clyde.

As I ripen towards 60, now betting the bug for a cruising/live aboard. Nothing special, mind you, just something along the lines of a '42 Hinckley Sou'Wester or some other little tub. ;)

Still wading around in the very preliminary stages and few years away from living my dream (if ever), yet I've already learned (re-learned!) a lot from you fine folks here at SailNet. Great site. I have a TON of questions, and hope y'all won't mind me asking.

Best regards,

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey John, welcome - you’ll find lots of inspiration here!

I used to race dinghies at Enoshima near Kamakura. Very friendly bunch. There are a few keel boats there and you might find someone there to connect with to swap stories or even get out on the water.

Cheers,
Todd

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey John, welcome - you'll find lots of inspiration here!

I used to race dinghies at Enoshima near Kamakura. Very friendly bunch. There are a few keel boats there and you might find someone there to connect with to swap stories or even get out on the water.

Cheers,
Todd
Hi Todd,

Thanks for you reply. Actually, I'm a little distant from Kamakura. Now living in Kyoto, which is inland from the Osaka/Kobe area -- both of which have sailing communities. I "might" take the time to visit with the locals, but I really have limited time to go sailing in Japan. Busy most every day. However, I might check it out.

I've been sailing since age 7, so my questions are more about live-aboard topics. I run a private Internet business from my home, yet it needs 24/7 attention. I significant other and I would like to pick up a nice 42-52 foot vessel and do some sailing (Caribbean / Maine coast / Greek islands / Italy / French Polynesia / Thailand) while running the business from the boat.

For my business, I need 24/7/365 Internet / e-mail connection. No ifs, ands, or buts. So, that could present a major hurdle for me. I have to do more research, yet the full-time/anytime/anyplace Internet aspect is vital, not optional.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to see another Mainer on board.. just joined up as well.
Hi the207life,

Thanks for your message. I should reciprocate! "Welcome aboard!", which admittedly maybe sound odd from someone who signed up yesterday.

From Bar Harbor, to Camden, to Vinalhaven, Monhegan, and points beyond, I know the Maine coast quite well. Now looking to expand my horizons to the Med, French Polynesia, Caribbean, etc. However, that plan is a few years away (if ever).

By the way, SailNet is the only site / sailing forum I've signed up with. With no disrespect to SailNet, can you recommend any other good blue-water/live-aboard sites? I'm now in 'data gathering' mode, not 'active sailing' mode.

Oh, and in Maine we don't say "Yes!", we say "Aheyahhh", but you know that already.

Cheers,

John in Japan

·
3,505 Posts
Plenty of good service providers for internet services while afloat in Malaysia/Thailand. Great cruising and safe anchorages abound. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.