SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went up the mast the other day, and was shocked to see the corrosion on my spreader lights. As you can see in the pictures, what I assume is powder coating is completely gone in some areas, and the corrosion is considerable.
I contacted Dr.LED and included the pictures. They apologized, offered no explanation as to why they had corroded so badly, and offered me a new pair, with a 50% discount.
I explained that the lights were only three years old (turns out they're actually 4.5 years old), and without explanation as to why they corroded, I wasn't interested in investing in another pair. Especially considering they are still working fine (the light output is incredible btw!), and would be a hassle to replace. I added that the incandescent lights they replaced had probably been up there 20 years and still looked fine, certainly not like they had been salvaged off a wreck!
They then offered me free replacement, but again offered no explanation as to what went wrong. I again declined for the reasons listed above ("investment", not withstanding).
In fairness, they offer a one year guarantee... But still, those lights don't look like they were intended for marine use! They advertise them as deck lights. Imagine that!
Anyone else have experience with these lights? I searched the forum and was surprised to find no mention.
Thoughts?
Edit: as soon as I posted this, I received several suggestions for reading that included mentions of Dr.LED ( unfortunately, many unfavorable). So, I must be doing something wrong in my search. But that's a topic for different a topic for a different forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm not an expert, so I should probably keep my mouth shut, but: It looks like that corrosion is on the casing/heat sink. As long as the internals are clean and nice, the lights should work fine until the aluminum literally corrodes through. Maybe they would last 20 years! Personally, I'd take the replacements, seal them up, and wait for the original lights to actually stop working.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts