SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Blowing bulbs, as in they burn out after 2000 hours or more? Normal usage?

Or blowing bulbs in a very short time, which is a sign of a bad regulator on a 12v system that is supplying too much voltage, which can blow all bulbs out very quickly.

As I recall you had alternator/regulator problems. If the regulator is putting out more than 14.4 volts, you can expect damage to all sorts of things, the blown bulbs are usually just a first sign of a problem.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I haven't done so on the boat as of yet, but I did replace all the bulbs in my car with LED's. The difference is startling. They are much brighter and the light emitted is noticeably "cleaner". As in a 12 volt car, many times you can simply replace the bulbs, rather than the entire fixture. I guess it would depend on what types of fixtures you have...This is where I got my replacement bulbs:LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I bought some Dr LED spreader lights about 4 years ago. Went up the mast the other day, and couldn't believe how they had corroded! Contacted them and sent a picture, and they offered me 50% off on replacements with no explanation as to why they corroded that much in 4 years! I told them that without an explanation of what went wrong, l couldn't be bothered replacing these lights with lights that might corrode just as fast. Besides... They work great!
They responded by offering me free replacements, if I provided a receipt. Again, with no explanation as to what went wrong! When I do replace them, it won't be with Dr LEDs! As far as light output, they're spectacular!

·
Registered
25,104 Posts
I did retrofitted my boat with Marinebeam bulbs, a few years back. I haven't examined the exterior bulbs yet. I think this is a risk, if one only uses the retro-fit bulbs, as opposed to replacing the entire fixture, with an environmentally sealed LED model.

I actually bought the sealed replacement nav lights, but never installed them. My stainless units looked so much more substantial, compared to the replacement plastic stuff. I just bought the retrofit LED bulb and will deal with corrosion, if it becomes a problem. So far, they've worked great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.