SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Dreadnaughts / John Hannas They go by a few other names . Any how for those that have never heard of one , they are a 32ft. double ender ketch very heavy displacement they are a old design so they have that old world charm . And yes they are deliriously slow . Ok the reason for this thread there is one for sale in Latitude 38, big deal you say I see them once in a while . Right , well this one is new hasn't yet been completed .From the sound of the ad everything is there and get this the guy has carbon fiber masts for it . All for 12k. Disclaimer ... I am but the messenger here , so don't flame me for this thread like you guys did with that Alajuela 38 that a guy was giving away . By the way a guy took that 38 moved it to a yard and is completing it .

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I sailed on a D-nut once (thats what the owner called it) and it has a sea kindly motion and it moves well in a blow, slow yes, smooth yes, roomy below yes, small cockpit yes (a good thing for open ocean cruising). I hope the sale goes well for the seller as it is a buyers market right now.

Reactions: Markwesti

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I looked into the D32.. nice boats. I was caught between them and the Alberg 37 and eventually decided that A37 would be my next boat for one simple fact.. the 37 would be cheaper to haul and moor as it is actually shorter in overall length than the D32 with it's sprit.

Other than that... I love them. If I wanted to sail somewhere fast, I would own a cat, not a crab crushing full keel

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
they are based on Atkin's Tahiti ketch.. Just stretched to 32 feet and given a slightly better underwater shape. I believe they also upped the sail area to around 800sqf

·
Registered
626 Posts
funny - i was not aware of a brand named after a battleship class from the early 20th century (although spelled slightly different)... ;)
the dreadnought class were the largest of battleships existing before and into WWI...
as an very advanced example of them...

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I almost bought one...it was a deal cause it was suffering from rot...which is a bit common on them depending on who and where it was finished

other than that no issues for me cept a bit slow

je

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
I almost bought one...it was a deal cause it was suffering from rot...which is a bit common on them depending on who and where it was finished

other than that no issues for me cept a bit slow

je
sadly that can be a real issue on these. But, the good news is, it is not the kind of rot that can send your boat to the bottom in a hurry. The hull is still very think 'glass, it is just everything attached to it you have to worry about

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yeoup!

a lot of boats suffer from this

there was once one of my dream boats in panama when I was there in 2001 that had termites it was a hans christian 36, an awesome boat!

but ALL the woodwork all of it was chewed away...or holed or crumbly, etc...it was simply too big of a job to fix for me...even the decks had to be replaced cause once you leave termites be thats it

anywhoo

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I like Dreadnaughts / John Hannas They go by a few other names . Any how for those that have never heard of one , they are a 32ft. double ender ketch very heavy displacement they are a old design so they have that old world charm . And yes they are deliriously slow . Ok the reason for this thread there is one for sale in Latitude 38, big deal you say I see them once in a while . Right , well this one is new hasn't yet been completed .From the sound of the ad everything is there and get this the guy has carbon fiber masts for it . All for 12k. Disclaimer ... I am but the messenger here , so don't flame me for this thread like you guys did with that Alajuela 38 that a guy was giving away . By the way a guy took that 38 moved it to a yard and is completing it .
CARBON FIBER spars for a freakin' Dreadnaught???

LMAO!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts