SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read this site a lot and never felt like I belonged as a posting member because I had no boat to call my own. However, 27 feet of 1979 Balboa shoal keeled boat has changed that! A generous gift from my in-laws and a heck of a drive from Arizona to San Diego has given my family and I the opportunity to sail on our own boat. We're very humbled and excited to join all of you. We've sailed up and down mission bay more times than I can count on the rentals and can't believe we may actually be able to see some open water on our own boat.

We're first time boat owners so I'm hoping for some general advice on getting the boat sail ready and very open to any feedback I can gather. My grandfather in law has left everything imaginable in the boat and kept it in very good condition. The exceptions are the panels he used to replace the original windows (which he kept and has given me) that are literally crumbling. It looks like he laid fiberglass over marine grade plywood but maybe had a bad seal. I'd like to know if replacing the panels makes sense over putting back the original windows. The only other visible damage is what Arizona weather did to the teak pieces throughout the deck.

We plan to obtain a slip here in San Diego and although the hull and gelcoat are in very good shape, we'll be getting bottom paint as soon as possible. As a part of the boat, we were also given a 9.9 Yamaha outboard which has been used literally one time.

If anyone has the time to offer advice on the right first steps and good places to get things done here in San Diego, we would greatly appreciate it.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Welcome to sailnet, and congrats on the boat. I'm sure you'll get many different answers on windows versus plexiglass versus lexan to do the job, I bought a seal replacement kit for my boat and am planning toredo them now that the weather has broke. Ultilmately it will be up to you on how you want the boat to look. One thing I might do is to have the outboard checked out, impeller checked depending on the age, nothing worse than burning up a perfectly good outboard, ask me how I know this.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
You will find quite a few Sailnut members in the San diego area.
There is a yahoo group for Balboa owners.
Welcome.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Congrats! One of the first boats I sailed on my own was a Balboa 20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts