SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Landlocked
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been getting directed to sailnet by search engines for a while now so I figured I should just sign in. I've been dreaming of the sea since I was very young. I grew up in Ventura CA and spent time on Oahu and Fort Bragg CA and now I'm landlocked in Idaho. I miss the great Pacific and hope to return some day. My ultimate goal is live my Jimmy Buffet, Captain Ron fantasy (wrong ocean I know but I haven't found a lot of Pacific centric sailing movies or culture to attach myself to) of living aboard somewhere on the Same. My current "vessel" is an 8 foot inflatable drifting down a desert river during the short season here. My short term goal is to learn the language of what I hope will be my people and learn enough technical knowledge that I can simulate any situation with little effort so that when I can get back to the water and give myself permission to come aboard my own boat, I'll be able to learn the real world stuff without struggling with the basic language and concepts.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Welcome to sailnet, this is a great place to learn about all things sailing. I don't know where you are in Idaho, but there seem to be a few lakes there you could trailer to:

Lakes in Idaho

Let us know what we can do to help with your learning curve.

·
Landlocked
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there CatMan,

Thanks. I actually live pretty close to Lucky Peak, Anderson Ranch and a couple others. Right now, I don't have and can't afford a sailer. I'm planning on adding a sail rig to my inflatable over the winter and am keeping an eye out for a free or really cheap boat that I can get on the water next summer. I will definitely be picking some brains and hopefully, as time goes on I'll be able to contribute to the body of knowledge here as well. I think my first big question is whether or not there is a definitive book on small craft sailing that is useful and affordable.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Welcome to SailNet!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your plan is not too bad at all, a much, much better plan than the people who buy a boat and REFUSE to learn anything ("Bowline? I don't need those fancy knots; this works fine.") There's a ton of information you can learn from books - including story books, especially non-fiction accounts of sailing voyages - videos, forums, FB groups, etc. And, it's not a terrible idea to plan a vacation around a sailing school - you'll have fun, you'll learn some stuff, AND you'll get some accreditation for your future boat insurance.
You may be living in a desert right now, but if you're on Sailnet, your voyage has begun . . .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your plan is not too bad at all, a much, much better plan than the people who buy a boat and even then REFUSE to learn anything ("Bowline? I don't need those fancy knots; this works fine." - shortly thereafter I got off his boat and wished him well . . .)

There's a ton of information you can learn from books - including story books, especially non-fiction accounts of sailing voyages - videos, forums, FB groups, etc. And, it's not a terrible idea to plan a vacation around a sailing school - you'll have fun, you'll learn some stuff, AND you'll get some accreditation for your future boat insurance.

You may be living in a desert right now, but if you're on Sailnet, your voyage has begun . . .

·
Landlocked
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
first boat!

I picked up a 1973 sol cat 18 this morning. Needs tramp repaired and new cables and lines, a rudder handle and one dagger board. How do I post a picture?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to Sailnet! If you want it bad enough, you can make it happen! We've don't the land to sailboat thing a couple times. We currently live on our Hunter 37C in St. John, US Virgin Islands. When we were dreaming about the day, we started following some blogs and reading books about cruising and living aboard. One great book was "An Embarrassment of Mangoes". It just gives you a couples perspective of buying and sailing a boat in the Caribbean. I also followed Windtraveler.net, Swell Voyage and loved them so much I started my own blog, mountainsandseashore.blogspot.com when we brought our second sailboat down to the Caribbean. Reading about other adventures made us want to live our own!

Enjoy the journey. . .

Camile
s/v Obsession

1 - 8 of 8 Posts