SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I currently live in Flagstaff, AZ. at 7000 feet in beautiful mountains but surrounded by desert for hundreds of miles.

Hence the name "Desert Dreamer".

I have worked here in Flagstaff for the past seven years about to transfer to Windsor, Ct. just north of Hartford, CT.

Looking at getting a Catalina 22 (used) once we get settled in CT and trailer it to Mystic, CT, New London, CT on weekends.

I have been researching ton's of websites about "trailer sailor's" and ran across your site.

I am also a Private Pilot with 500 hours pilot in command. Also have owned horses for 10 years. About to trade in both of those hobbies and venture into sailing.

All above are expensive. Have to stick with just one hobby or my wife will kill me :)

Just trying to get connected and start really learning about sailing.

Any good books you would recommend for a "newbie"???

Thanks,

Greg Samson

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Welcome to Sailnet Greg, good luck with the move, the search for a boat, and your adventure. There are many books out there from Don Casey's Inspecting the Aging Sailor on boat buying and repair to The Complete Sailor by David Seidman that offer great tips and help. I found The Everything Sailing Book by Michael and Nikki Smorenburg to be a great help. As for picking a boat to begin on the Catalina 22 is a great way to get into sailing, still being produced, lots of parts and support avaiable and an avid following. I am on my second Catalina 22 and trailer to different areas as you are wishing to do.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Yes, welcome to sailnut Greg.
Also welcome to the north east/New England. For the areas you will be sailing in I'd recommend the "Eldridge Tide & Pilot Manual" which will tell you about tides and currents in the Long Island Sound (no tides in AZ last I checked).
Owning a boat at a slip in a marina in this area can be rather costly which is why it is a great idea to start out with a nice trailer sailor like the Catalina 22'. There are a few flavors of C22, mostly involving the shape of the keel or rig so be aware of that. Trailer sailing will save you fistfulls of money over the years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Cat Man 22,

Thanks for the info.

How long does it take you to set the mast, an rigging and launch your Cat 22?

I have read it's and average of one hour from start to finish.

Is that about right?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks about the book idea for tides and currents off CT coast.

I copied your post into a file I have started "Books To Read".

Very helpful.

Greg

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Hi Cat Man 22,

Thanks for the info.

How long does it take you to set the mast, an rigging and launch your Cat 22?

I have read it's and average of one hour from start to finish.

Is that about right?

Thanks,

Greg
Mike,

It usually takes thirty minutes to an hour depending on when I arrive, I'll hustle a little more if I arrive in the afternoon to make sure i can get to where I want to anchor before dark. I just finished making a mast raising system that I'm going to try this weekend since I rig the boat myself to see if that helps. Let me knw if there's anything else I can help with.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts